Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilting frame help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilting-frame-help-t239987.html)

Spector 01-30-2014 05:42 PM

Quilting frame help

2 Attachment(s)
My wife acquired a quilting frame years back. She was told it was complete. She now wishes to use it, but we cannot figure out how to put it together.
The attached pictures show the pieces she received and how I guessed at their assembly. All pieces are wood. Three pieces of similar size & color created a U-shaped stand. The other pieces created scissor frames. It appears to me that the U-shape is not part of the same group. It also appears to me that there may rails missing that somehow attach to the tops of the scissor frames.
I did buy two 1X2 - 8' to fashion into rails, but I am not certain how to proceed.
Does anyone recognize this frame and able to give me some direction?
Thanks,
Allan

erstan947 01-30-2014 06:04 PM

The U shaped frame holds a circle hoop with knobs and long bolts that holds the hoop in place and can be adjusted to the desired angle. I don't know anything about the other frame. Maybe someone else can help with it. Bless you for trying to help her to get these frames usable.

minibarn 01-30-2014 07:24 PM

No help here, but a very interesting looking frame. Hope you are able to get it figured out!

Jp

quiltingcandy 01-30-2014 07:44 PM

Any idea how old it is?

The frame I see in the back, looks like the one I was taught to use back in 1980, You staple a fabric around the inside of the frame and then baste the embroidery or quilt block or needlepoint canvas to that and it holds it fairly tight so it is easier to work. (i found it easier to use a scroll for my needle point and a hoop for my embroidery, but it did work okay for lap quilting, until I bought a large floor quilting hoop to use.)

COYOTEMAGIC 01-30-2014 11:31 PM

shouldn't there be 2 long(width of quilt plus a few inches) crosses to connect the 2 crossed/X'd pieces to create a rectangle shaped frame? I'd say a 1x2 or 2x2 that would slip into those notches at the top of each side of the crossed/X'd pieces.

that U went it something else. I have a frame that use a U like that

Spector 01-31-2014 11:33 AM

Yes, as I mentioned, I think the rails are missing. That is why I bought the 1x2's. It is unclear how they attach though; the clamp-like pieces at the top have 'teeth' when thought of as rail clamps, which doesn't make sense to me. Also, as I understand it the quilt needs to be affixed somehow to those rails. How? Separate clamps?

Hinterland 01-31-2014 12:13 PM

It's not complete - it's missing the rails that go between the two end pieces. I can't see well enough from your photos to be able to tell you what to do.

Once you figure out how to attach the rails to the frame, you can attach a strip of cloth to the rails (it can be stapled on, or even taped - I did that with my first frame). The quilt is attached to the cloth strip, which is also called a leader. Then the quilt is rolled onto the rails.

Best of luck.

Janet

RedGarnet222 01-31-2014 12:38 PM

I can't help you either on the make of this frame. But, if I were wanting to erect a frame I would study on the manufacturer's selling sites to see how a frame is supposed to go together and what the possibilities of improving it would be. You see some sites will sell parts by themselves. Like the leader cloths or hardware.