Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Baby Lock Aria, Crescendo or Janome 8900? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/baby-lock-aria-crescendo-janome-8900-a-t240137.html)

Psossi 02-01-2014 12:59 PM

Baby Lock Aria, Crescendo or Janome 8900?

I am having quite the quandary...

I'm trading in my BabyLock Ellageo Plus...just not a huge embroidery fan...but I DO like quilting small bed quilts and lap quilts, making table runners, placemats and other small things.

I've decided I want the larger harp space. I'm torn between the Aria, Crescendo and Janome 8900.

I've been a Baby Lock sewer...I also have a Melody and Grace. Love so many of the Baby Lock features.

The dual walking foot on the Aria and Crescendo seems so HUGE! Can anyone weigh in on how it is to actually sew with it? That's the one area where I like the Janome better, I think...

Thanks. I really appreciate any insight or opinions.

trennag 02-01-2014 07:11 PM

I traded my symphony for the crescendo and love it!!! The foot is large but once it's on the machine I don't find that I notice. I did however buy the open toe sole plate for it so you can see the one that comes with is hard to see if your doing stitch in the ditch sewing. I almost got the aria but decided that the cost difference wasn't much and that I wanted the laser light and pen that comes on the crescendo. Quilting with the larger space is a dream!!!

Psossi 02-01-2014 07:46 PM

Thanks so much for your response...you did give me something to think about between the Aria and Crescendo. Someone suggested that Janomes are better for straight sewing, and that Baby Locks strong are was embroidery, but I don't agree...

I really want to stay with Baby Lock. I think I just have to go spend a couple of hours at the store, with quilt sandwiches in hand, and test drive!

Dolphyngyrl 02-01-2014 09:35 PM

That huge muvit foot kicks but, it sews anything and I mean anything, perfect tension, I wouldn't even bother with the janome. The crescendo has the laser and the pen which the aria doesn't I use the laser quite a bit. It is good for HST, I use the penpal for doing binding and various other things. I do have the brother version and while janome does have accufeed it is does not have the differential speed like the crescendo has on its muvit foot. Its easily put on and removed like any walking foot but is sooo much better than any walking foot or built in walking foot, just my honest opinion. You can sew through 10 layers and it won't even hesitate, balk, and your stitches will be even. I can go on and on about other amazing features but try one out for yourself and you will be amazed.

michelleoc 02-01-2014 10:02 PM

I got a Crescendo about three weeks ago, and for the amount I've been able to use it so far, I really like it. Life is getting in the way and keeping me from what I really want to do...quilt!

trennag 02-01-2014 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Psossi (Post 6549554)
Thanks so much for your response...you did give me something to think about between the Aria and Crescendo. Someone suggested that Janomes are better for straight sewing, and that Baby Locks strong are was embroidery, but I don't agree...

I really want to stay with Baby Lock. I think I just have to go spend a couple of hours at the store, with quilt sandwiches in hand, and test drive!

I have only sewn on brothers, singers and baby locks but I can say that I really love my crescendo. I thought my symphony was amazing and this by far tops it. Like dolphyngyrl said the muvit/ digital dual feed foot really is amazing. It is the biggest reason why I started looking into upgrading my year old symphony. I also use my laser guide and pen more then I thought, they come in handy and I probably would have started to think about upgrading again had I not got them in the first place.

Psossi 02-02-2014 05:06 AM

Thank you for all the input. I appreciate hearing that the size of the foot on the Baby Lock should not be a deterrent. I think I've crossed the Janome off my list :). I will go to the store tomorrow (if all this snow stops falling) and take a good hard look at the Crescendo.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your feedback.

maminstl 02-02-2014 06:16 AM

Another vote for Crescendo - I'm not sure how the Aria is different, but I think it's the laser light and pen thing. I will say that I haven't used the pen, but the laser light is one of the best things ever. I also like the walking foot - once you find the right spot on the foot, your stitch in the ditch will be perfect. I had a Symphony, but 6 months later I was kicking myself that I didn't just bite the bullet the first time around and get the Crescendo. I also have the fancy foot pedal - love that too.

SingerSewer 02-02-2014 06:43 AM

I have the Crescendo. Only had it a couple of months and love it! The lighting is unbelievable. The walking foot is large but it as much better as it is larger. I didn't get the fancy pedal but did buy the stitch regulator...yet to use it.

Psossi 02-02-2014 08:11 AM

Ok, can someone go into a little more explanation about the stitch regulator and fancy foot pedal? This is the first I'm hearing about those...I don't mind the investment if they make a real difference and make life easier...

isn't it funny though that sewing machines now can cost as much as our first cars?