Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Slider ... yea, nay or no difference (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/slider-yea-nay-no-difference-t240281.html)

Rubesgirl 02-03-2014 08:55 AM

Slider ... yea, nay or no difference

I have had no luck with FMQ on my DSM. I have tried nearly everything recommended and it still looks like my 4y/o DGS did it. I have trouble controlling the sandwich due to a problem with one of my hands (even with gloves) and was wondering if a Slider might help. Before I invest the $$, I was hoping to get feedback from the learned and experienced quilters here. Any advice is welcome. :-)

sarahelloyd 02-03-2014 09:10 AM

Not being able to afford a slider, I have used a silicone spray on the machine. That works quite well. Also remembering not to press down on your fabric helps. Sorry if I am being too obvious. Will watch this thread with interest to see what is said!

ManiacQuilter2 02-03-2014 09:35 AM

I hate for you to spend the money, but could you be pushing down on the quilt??? Your fingers are on the quilt to guide the fabric. I haven't had any problem doing FMQ on my Bernina using a throat plate that I purchased. Maybe check into some vinyl fabrics that have a very slick side to then to cover the area like a slider would, Just a thought. Good Luck.

nativetexan 02-03-2014 10:18 AM

one of these days I will buy some silicone spray but I do have the supreme slider, which if you don't tape the thing down, gets caught up under your quilt as you move it. most frustrating. I removed mine!

Candace 02-03-2014 11:16 AM

The Supreme Slider was some of the best money I've spent.

LivelyLady 02-03-2014 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 6552892)
one of these days I will buy some silicone spray but I do have the supreme slider, which if you don't tape the thing down, gets caught up under your quilt as you move it. most frustrating. I removed mine!

I removed my slider for the exact same reason.

katier825 02-03-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by LivelyLady (Post 6553403)
I removed my slider for the exact same reason.

Me too...I actually got it caught up and sewed it to the quilt. Taping didn't work for me either...the tape would catch on the quilt.

sewbeadit 02-03-2014 04:32 PM

I like my slider.

franc36 02-03-2014 04:50 PM

After sewing 3 sliders into quilts, I started taping slider #4 down. I have to take the tape off each time I change the bobbin, which is no fun. So far, the slider has stayed in place; but if this slider ends up in a quilt, I will not replace it.

meyert 02-03-2014 05:21 PM

I too have considered a slider, but I am afraid that it would be too slick then... I am just starting FMQ and I struggle with the bulkiness of the quilt in the throat of the machine and I am afraid that if the surface was too slick then I would have even more trouble.... or do you think that the slider helps handle the bulkiness better?