Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 8 Is Frustrating!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-8-frustrating-t241417.html)

EllieGirl 02-17-2014 06:12 PM

Windows 8 Is Frustrating!!

DH bought me a Mac for my birthday last July. We've always had HPs and he bought the Mac because I have an iPhone and and iPad. The Mac is different but I learned how to use it and I'm fine with it. Well, DH has a consulting business and needed to do some presentations but the old HP lap top, bought in 2010 is so slow it held up presentations. He didn't like my Mac so he decided to get a new HP....with Windows 8. It is very difficult. I'm usually pretty good at computer stuff, but this one has me stumped. The last time I used Windows, it was Windows 7 and that was fairly easy to use. Give me my Mac any day over this!

Grace creates 02-17-2014 07:20 PM

I have windows vista and I am so technically challenged

sandybuttons 02-17-2014 07:49 PM

had vista hated it find windows 8 a challenge, some neat things

kayluvs2quilt 02-17-2014 08:04 PM

There IS a learning curve with Windows 8 - but once you get past that curve it is all crazy quick after that. I love my Windows 8 now.

Lori S 02-17-2014 08:08 PM

I went from XP to windows 8 it was painful... not so bad now.

Prism99 02-17-2014 09:09 PM

If you have a Best Buy nearby, try taking it in to the laptop area and asking for some help with Windows 8. My dh works on huge mainframe computers and is pretty computer savvy, but the Microsoft rep at our Best Buy was able to show us both quite a few tips in just a few minutes.

One tip I think is very helpful is that, if you are on the screen that has all the tiles you can simply type in whatever you are looking for. Try it. Also, that tile screen is fully customizable (in that I need to get rid of the many tiles I will never use).

One thing my dh noted, though, is that Windows 8 is a lot better when you use a touch screen with it. It is much more tiresome using a mouse with it. Of course, all of our desk computers are not touch screen.......

gale 02-17-2014 11:02 PM

I have a friend that is a computer geek and she said there are programs you can download (free, I think) that will make windows 8 look like windows 7.

joyce blint 02-18-2014 09:07 AM

While we're on this subject.....Using Windows 8, when you have a full screen (opening a document , etc) how do you get back to where you were before?? I hope this makes sense.

donnalynett 02-18-2014 10:04 AM

We have a desktop with Windows 8 and we hate it. Can't do anything with all of our pictures and can't seem to find anyone who knows how to help me. We had Vista and when we got used to it we really liked it but we just can't seem to figure out Windows 8.

selm 02-18-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by joyce blint (Post 6582453)
While we're on this subject.....Using Windows 8, when you have a full screen (opening a document , etc) how do you get back to where you were before?? I hope this makes sense.

Point your cursor in the upper, left corner. You'll see the last screen you were on - click and you're there.