Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   rolling my quilt for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rolling-my-quilt-quilting-t241916.html)

evelyn5269 02-24-2014 02:03 PM

rolling my quilt for quilting

I made a hexagon quilt with the half hex from MSQC. Love the orange peel idea but no matter how I quilt it I need to really roll it tight to get in my machine. What is the best. I bought some clamps, red pliable at a reputable store but certainly not tight. Any ideas. What do you do.

Evelyn

dunster 02-24-2014 02:08 PM

When I quilted on my DSM I did not roll the quilt. I puddled it instead. I tried rolling it, didn't like it. Puddling was much easier for me.

Maggiemay 02-24-2014 02:15 PM

I had a hard time rolling it as well. The roll was so cumbersome that I felt like I was wrestling a dead body! I scrunch or puddle also. What is the throat space on your machine?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-24-2014 02:15 PM

I'm with Dunster. Rolling is always harder for me. It seems to turn into a heavy log I just can't move. I puddle, accordion pleat, scrunch or whatever ever it takes. I have heard some people really like clamps. I also know one lady that rolls and then puts safety pins down roll to hold it.

Listen to everyone's suggestions and then try out a couple that you like the sounds of. Who knows what new thing you might discover that works for you?

nativetexan 02-24-2014 02:32 PM

I also gave up on rolling. I puddle it or scrunch it around and under and through. hate it but must do it or FMQing which I don't always want to do.

evelyn5269 02-24-2014 02:50 PM

Nine inches. I want to try the orange peel so maybe puddling will work

PaperPrincess 02-24-2014 02:53 PM

even though you use pins or a spray adhesive, I think rolling shifts the layers a lot more than 'scrunching'.

MichelleDenise 02-24-2014 02:59 PM

I am working on my second quilt. Can anyone explain scrunching or puddling to me? I just rolled my quilt the first time, but I am always wanting to learn better ways of quilting. Thank you.

Tartan 02-24-2014 03:12 PM

If you going to do the Orange Peel with your walking foot, you only need to get 1/2 of the quilt through the harp. Start by quilting the first vertical line down the middle. This will be the hardest one to do. Each new vertical line down the quilt will get easier as there will be less fabric to go through the harp. Once the right side of the quilt is quilted, rotate the quilt and do the other side in the same way.
once all the vertical lines are quilted, do the horizontal lines from the middle out again.

Prism99 02-24-2014 04:31 PM

I do large accordion pleats under the arm of the machine and "puddle" around the presser foot. The accordion pleating works better for me than simply stuffing the quilt under the arm. Rolling was the worst for me -- made for a very dense, stiff, hard-to-move-around bundle. Large accordion pleating keeps the quilt loose and pliable for adjustments in the area of the needle.