Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lining up seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lining-up-seams-t243109.html)

luckydiver17 03-13-2014 06:45 AM

Lining up seams

What is everyone's secret on how to sew your rows so that your seams line up perfectly? I press my seams open and am just working with squares, nothing fancy. I have tried pinning, not pinning, etc but it seems like things still shift/stretch by the time the needle goes over the seam. I have resorted to sewing over JUST the seam so I have less stitches to rip out if it doesn't line up and then going back and sewing the rest of the line once my seams are lined up which is taking forever. If you can't tell, I'm a perfectionist :)

dunster 03-13-2014 06:51 AM

I think the first secret is not to be a perfectionist. :)

Stevensgirl 03-13-2014 06:56 AM

Sounds like you need to use a walking foot to help your fabric layers feed evenly.

PaperPrincess 03-13-2014 06:58 AM

I don't press my seams open, I press to one side. I am careful that one row is pressed to the right, the next to the left. This way the seams nest, minimizing slipping. Also, if it's possible, feed the row so that the loose edge of the seam on the top gets fed into the presser foot first. The feed dogs will pull the seam on the bottom butting it closer to the one on the top. It's not always possible to do this, but I try!

DebraK 03-13-2014 06:59 AM

the neat thing about not pressing your seams open is that you can nest the seams against each other. That way works best for me. I've heard that some people use Elmer's glue, but I haven't tried that method.

QuiltE 03-13-2014 07:02 AM

Definitely pressing the seams to the side, with them flipped opposite from row to row, so that they nest!

I was doing a TATW last night, so lots of seam matching.
Almost all lined up perfectly by pressing and nesting.
For those that did not, I just opened a few stitches either side of the seam and re-stitched them.

bearisgray 03-13-2014 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6624222)
I don't press my seams open, I press to one side. I am careful that one row is pressed to the right, the next to the left. This way the seams nest, minimizing slipping. Also, if it's possible, feed the row so that the loose edge of the seam on the top gets fed into the presser foot first. The feed dogs will pull the seam on the bottom butting it closer to the one on the top. It's not always possible to do this, but I try!

This usually works for me, too.

I have a much more difficult time lining up the seam llines when the seams are pressed open. Whem the wad is really thick, I have resorted to hand basting these joins to minimize slippong before machine stitching the whole seam

willferg 03-13-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6624202)
I think the first secret is not to be a perfectionist. :)

Exactly this!

rebeljane 03-13-2014 07:12 AM

One seam one way, one seam the other way, nest together and put a pin on both sides of seam

Boston1954 03-13-2014 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6624222)

This has always worked well for me too.