Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This doesn't seem to be working out... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/doesnt-seem-working-out-t244991.html)

Lee in Richmond 04-11-2014 11:23 AM

This doesn't seem to be working out...

I just started on a simple baby quilt pattern called "Traveling Southwest" that I found on FaveQuilts. It says to cut 8-1/2" squares of print and background, draw a diagonal line on one, layer a print and a background and sew 1/4" each side of the drawn line, cut, then put with a 7" square of print and one of background to form a sort of arrow pattern.

The dimensions don't work at all. If I had the "geometry gene" I could figure this out, but what is wrong here? It seems obvious that the 8-1/2" squares are too large, but I have never been able to 'see' how a measurement will turn out after taking some seams, cutting, etc.

KalamaQuilts 04-11-2014 11:25 AM

do it with two pieces of paper, that's kalamaquilts math :)
A visual to work from really helps me.

GingerK 04-11-2014 11:35 AM

You are right. The directions say to make HST's out of two 8 1/2" squares, cut in half diagonally (which would give you two blocks app. 7 3/4" square). You could then trim them down to 7 1/2" (which would yield 2 FINISHED 7" squares)

So maybe the writer got confused between the size of unfinished and finished squares. Just add the extra 1/2 " to the ones that are supposed to be cut 7" square. it should all work out then.

Geri B 04-11-2014 11:39 AM

I read the pattern. Says to trim HST down to 7" ....which is the size of the squares you cut, right.....seemed like it made sense to me.....

Lee in Richmond 04-11-2014 12:02 PM

It just seems like such a waste of fabric to trim it down 1/2" each way -- why not give the right measurement in the first place?

PaperPrincess 04-11-2014 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond (Post 6671068)
It just seems like such a waste of fabric to trim it down 1/2" each way -- why not give the right measurement in the first place?

It's common to over cut half square triangles, then trim down, but this is probably a bit more than you need. If you haven't cut all the squares yet, I would do a couple of trials, one using an 8" square and one using a 7 1/2" and see which one you are most comfortable with.
You normally add about an inch to the finished size, which allows you to cut a sliver off to square it up. If you are supposed to trim to 7", the finished size is 6.5, so a 7.5" square would be a more common measurement to use.

ManiacQuilter2 04-11-2014 12:38 PM

Is the math to add 7/8" of an inch to the finished size?? She is probably wanting to have a little extra for maybe a new person to quilting. You have to realize the teacher has to deal with a variety of quilters from advance to beginners. She is just making sure that no one comes up short. Good Luck and have fun !!

athomenow 04-11-2014 01:19 PM

I have learned the hard way to do one block before cutting all my fabric. Once I get it put together I can then see what needs to be corrected.

Lee in Richmond 04-12-2014 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6671080)
It's common to over cut half square triangles, then trim down, but this is probably a bit more than you need. If you haven't cut all the squares yet, I would do a couple of trials, one using an 8" square and one using a 7 1/2" and see which one you are most comfortable with.
You normally add about an inch to the finished size, which allows you to cut a sliver off to square it up. If you are supposed to trim to 7", the finished size is 6.5, so a 7.5" square would be a more common measurement to use.

This is good advice. I have never been so far "off" before, and unfortunately did cut all the patterned pieces already. At least it doesn't have 1,000 pieces!

twinkie 04-13-2014 04:42 AM

I know these ladies on the board can help you figure this out. I always have to ask my DH.