Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tearing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tearing-fabric-t245170.html)

lpepperl 04-14-2014 04:44 PM

Tearing fabric

I'm new to quilting and adding a border that needs to run in a specific direction. My question is, can fabric be torn/ripped in both directions, selvage to selvage and parallel to the selvage??

Jim's Gem 04-14-2014 04:59 PM

Yes, however there will be a little bit of damage to the fibers of the fabric. I will rip for my backings but then use a 5/8" wide seam to cover the damage area.

I suppose you could rip a little bit wider then trim off the damaged part. With a 1/4" seam, you may not want to rip and just sew.

I do rip off smaller pieces off of yardage to cut for projects. For instance if I have a 10 yard piece of fabric and I need only a 1/4 yard piece to use, I will frequently rip off just over what I need and then press and cut my pieces, but at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the ripped side.

Terri D. 04-14-2014 05:34 PM

Yes. In fact, I've found that tearing strips parallel to the selvage yields wonderfully straight borders.

Tartan 04-14-2014 05:49 PM

Do you mean can it be torn crosswise as well as lengthwise? You will have difficulty ripping it crosswise. I have ripped fabric lengthwise to take off border fabric from a long piece of fabric. I always re-cut the edge though to remove the stretched edge fibers after ripping.

CraftyMary45 04-14-2014 06:05 PM

I rip to make a straight edge then trim off the fray. It speeds the processes.

Lori S 04-14-2014 06:19 PM

I rip fabric both on the cross grain and lengthwise grain frequently. I increase the measurement a bit and trim the edge were it was torn. It is my preferred method of dealing with long cuts for borders and for finding the true grain line on the cross grain.

Cheshirecatquilter 04-14-2014 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 6675740)
Do you mean can it be torn crosswise as well as lengthwise? You will have difficulty ripping it crosswise. I have ripped fabric lengthwise to take off border fabric from a long piece of fabric. I always re-cut the edge though to remove the stretched edge fibers after ripping.

I am old enough to remember when all my sewing projects began with fabric nipped by the measuring device and then ripped across the width. Older than dirt?

cmputerdazed 04-14-2014 07:44 PM

Yeah, Cheshire, me too.

DOTTYMO 04-14-2014 09:57 PM

This is discouraged by some people as they dislike the waste of fabric as you trim off the stretched fibres on the rip.
I must admit to ripping my backing fabric to the required length.
I have never thought about the direction as both work and are useful tool as long as you remember the stretched fibres at the edge

mpspeedy2 04-15-2014 03:13 AM

I have been ripping for more than 40 years. It is the only way to get the true grain of the fabric. Having the true grain allows you to make the best finished project. The only other way to get the true grain is to pull a thread and then cut along the space it leaves. Pulling a thread is not easy and can be very frustrating. Working with the "true grain" makes a finished project that looks and hangs professionally. In making a garment it means the difference between looking "homemade" and professional.