Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Basting a large quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basting-large-quilt-t24743.html)

shaverg 08-28-2009 04:58 AM

For those that still use a hoop or small frame to quilt. Where do you baste your larger quilts. I use to get on the floor, but since I broke my leg last year I can't do that anymore and my table is not big enough. Curious as to where you stretch your large quilts to baste. If I had access to a facility that had large tables I could put togethr, I would got that route.

feline fanatic 08-28-2009 05:12 AM

I am still a floor baster and it is always the part of I dislike the most. Many longarmers will baste a quilt for you. The only other option I can think of is if your LQS has table space for that. If you have a handy DH perhaps he can set up some plywood sheets for you on sawhorses?

Quilt4u 08-28-2009 05:17 AM

I use my bed. I have very bad knees can't get on the floor. And if I could ost of my quilts would not fit on the floor (very small apartment) . Some times I drag out my cutting table and open it up all the way when no one is home.

Deara 08-28-2009 05:22 AM

Have you considered a church fellowship hall? Most have large tables you can put together. I have used ours to work on larger projects.

Another suggestion would be the library. Some have separate rooms for study with large tables.

Deara

shaverg 08-28-2009 05:25 AM

Can you stretch it tight enough on the bed? I have done that with smaller quilts but I have the large cardboard cutting board to put on top. Maybe I should just buy another one to cover the whole bed and that would give me the hard surface to tape or clamp too. I have thought about that.

I use to have a LQS, I could go to and use their tables to baste. Once we moved don't have that option. At our LQS all but one lady are really rude. In fact I drive 30 to 45 min. to avoid our LQS.

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I use my bed. I have very bad knees can't get on the floor. And if I could ost of my quilts would not fit on the floor (very small apartment) . Some times I drag out my cutting table and open it up all the way when no one is home.

shaverg 08-28-2009 05:27 AM

I will definitely check out the library, had not thought about that. We just had a new one built about 1/2 mile from us. Thanks for all the great ideas.

Originally Posted by Deara
Have you considered a church fellowship hall? Most have large tables you can put together. I have used ours to work on larger projects.

Another suggestion would be the library. Some have separate rooms for study with large tables.

Deara

Ninnie 08-28-2009 05:39 AM

here I could go to our community center and do it. If there is anything like that near you, you could try that.
Or maybe a church hall, they are good about letting that be used also.
also plywood placed on top of a bed will work.

BellaBoo 08-28-2009 07:20 AM

I will be picking up a Grace EZ three pole no basting frame today! It's the best way to baste a quilt. I don't have to stretch the backing or worry about it being straight and I can sit while doing it. It's out of the way if it takes me a few days to get it basted. I had this frame before and I loaned it to a co-worker's wife. They divorced, moved away, and the frame disappeared. :? Water under the bridge. I found one for sale for $50! One of the situations where Mother in law died and family members don't quilt, selling house. Check out Sharon Schamber's online video of her sitting method of how to baste a quilt. I've been doing that and it's much better then the floor or bed basting.

kwhite 08-28-2009 07:34 AM

Fire hall is where I take mine to stretch them on my home made stretcher bars made from 1"X2" with upholstery binding attached.

Quilt4u 08-28-2009 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Can you stretch it tight enough on the bed? I have done that with smaller quilts but I have the large cardboard cutting board to put on top. Maybe I should just buy another one to cover the whole bed and that would give me the hard surface to tape or clamp too. I have thought about that.

I use to have a LQS, I could go to and use their tables to baste. Once we moved don't have that option. At our LQS all but one lady are really rude. In fact I drive 30 to 45 min. to avoid our LQS.

Originally Posted by Quilt4u

I have a large wood board I puton the bed and a very heavy mattress helps with the tension.