Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Maren's 13yoa quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/marens-13yoa-quilt-t247720.html)

spartan quilter 06-01-2014 05:33 AM

Maren's 13yoa quilt

3 Attachment(s)
This past week, I have had my 13 yoa granddaughter with me. Each summer when my grands have turned 13, they spend about a week with me and sew themselves a quilt. I have the material cut, but they do the sewing and pressing. The first picture is of her sitting at the old machine and sewing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477510[/ATTACH]

The next picture shows her helping put the whole thing together. As young as she is, she still had a sore back from the leaning over. I told her to just bend her knees a little and it went better. I put 4 inch risers under the dining room table, but really could use 8 inch risers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477511[/ATTACH]

This last one is the quilt with Maren beside it. The quilt is about queen size, measuring 80 x 110. Think that qualifies as a queen. We backed it with a piece of fleece with musical pictures on it, since she loves her music, whether it is singing or playing in the school band.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477512[/ATTACH]

The proud owner of a new quilt. You can see that I had started the quilting, and I did straight stitching across the other direction also. I will do a wave scroll in the white and yellow/green borders. I am so proud of her and all the grands before her who have made their quilts. Thanks for looking.

cjackaitlin 06-01-2014 05:43 AM

Great job for a first time quilt. Love the colors and pattern she picked out. Thanks for sharing.

Quilter 65 06-01-2014 05:48 AM

Beautiful quilt and girl and beautiful memories for her with you.

SlightlyOffQuilter 06-01-2014 05:52 AM

Fantastic job ! I love that you have the tradition with your grands ! That is such a special memory for all of you to share

KwiltyKahy 06-01-2014 06:21 AM

What a great tradition. Beautiful quilt and maker.

Jordan 06-01-2014 06:22 AM

Beautiful quilt. She did a great job. What a nice bonding week for you and your cute granddaughter.

QUILTNMO 06-01-2014 06:27 AM

ahe did a GREAT JOB she looks very happy!!!

Sewfine 06-01-2014 08:35 AM

Beautiful quilt and granddaughter. She is really enjoying this special time together. I like the tie quilt on the wall. Is there a pattern you can share?

AngelinaMaria 06-01-2014 08:39 AM

That is such a neat tradition. I hope I can do that someday with future (hopefully) grandchildren. I've got a ways to wait though since my kids are only 16 and 17 (again, hopefully).

lynnie 06-01-2014 08:42 AM

great job. what a sense of accomplishment. I taught my son when he was about 7, his first quilt.I taught him a big project is small, one row at a time, pretty soon it's done. a valuable life lesson.
Maren not only learned how to make a quilt, but no matter how big it is, a little at a time, and the job/project is done. she did beautiful work and she must be proud of herself for such an accomplishment.