Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Traveling w Hexies (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/traveling-w-hexies-t247937.html)

heartofwisdom 06-04-2014 03:46 PM

Traveling w Hexies

1 Attachment(s)
I have a flight to FL tomorrow. I'll have my Laptop and purse carry on. Not allowed a third item so I bought the cute little sewing kit to put in my jumbo purse. ALmost didn't fit. Still have room for Kindle and wallet on the other side. Who needs make up?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477945[/ATTACH]

I love that I can layout and pin my hexie flower pieces on top of the box (its a big pin cushion) to hold until ready for sewing.

Nammie to 7 06-04-2014 03:55 PM

Good idea! I carry my hexies in a plastic pencil box. I usually buy a couple new boxes every year -- I keep finding new uses for them!

Lafpeaches 06-04-2014 03:58 PM

We are flying to Pasadena in August to a grandsons wedding. Never thought i would do hexies maybe should start to have something to do on the plane: i hate to fly!!!! What size would you start with?

evelyn5269 06-04-2014 04:02 PM

Make sure you check with airline first. I took a bag of knitting once and had to leave the needles behind as they could be used as a lethal weapon and scissors have to almost be microscopic nowdays with security so tight but love the sewing box and a wonderful idea.

heartofwisdom 06-04-2014 04:26 PM

Evelyn, I did. Scissors with point (like my clippers) are OK if under 4 inches.

Lafpeaches, New to hexies, start with 1.5 or 2" maybe. See my tut at
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...a-t246917.html

Candace 06-04-2014 04:47 PM

I wouldn't think those pins would be allowed on.

charsuewilson 06-04-2014 07:30 PM

I've traveled with hexies, although not on a plane.P Even though the airlines supposedly have relaxed the rules, I'd be afraid to travel with sewing scissors, afraid of losing them. I'd travel with one of the Clover pendants on a necklace. That should work.

Packing a large sewing basket into a carryon bag seems excessive. I have a small over the arm sewing kit with a pin cushion in the center and two pockets which have thread, needles, and usually scissors. It looks about 1/4 the size of your sewing box. I would also consider putting the sewing stuff into zip-loc bags for flying. They can be crushed down and packed into limited space.

quiltingcandy 06-04-2014 07:51 PM

Are you going to glue down the fabric to the papers or baste it? I am basting on a 1 inch hexagon - and use the Clover clip to start my hexi's, so much easier than pins. I only do 2 at a time. I want to try the glue method - just haven't done it yet.

heartofwisdom 06-04-2014 08:02 PM

Checked with TSA. Scissors with point smaller than 4" OK. But I'm not risking my expensive clippers, so I have a tiny blunt pair to snip thread. Pins and needles are OK too but I'm using Clover clips and a tiny needle.

They have to allow a sewing needle or they have to start taking safety pins. My husband retired from Home Land Security.

Quilting candy, I don't use papers, I mark and do running stitch.

AliKat 06-04-2014 08:10 PM

I made a small 'purse' using the metal tape measure for closure. [Actually have made quite a few of t hem because I love them.] I put my yo-yo stuff in this one, which included material, the Clover yo-yo maker, thread, needle & threaders, and cheap small scissors. I take this to my quilt guild meetings and such as well. I have a larger 'purse' that holds my circle maker and extra fabric; it is kept with an old small rotary mat, so I can keep up with the demand.

I love it because it is softsided and will enlarge itself only as needed, yet is compact.

The funny part is: I can get 4 yo-yos done in an hour, almost. My hands just won't do it any faster. Last quilt guild the [newer to me] tremors were so bad that another quilter sitting next to me threaded my needle when he saw I was shaking so much. Aren't quilters great!