Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stupid questions about wide backing fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-questions-about-wide-backing-fabric-t249110.html)

michelleoc 06-26-2014 02:54 PM

stupid questions about wide backing fabric

Okay, so I have this ginormous piece of fabric for backing of a queen-sized quilt. If I put it in the dryer for a bit, will it "flatten" some of the folds/wrinkles? I have a pretty big ironing board, but still not big enough for this fabric. Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Lori S 06-26-2014 03:19 PM

It helps if you mist it a bit to relax some of the wrinkles before putting in the dryer. I know some toss a few damp face cloths in to help create a steam. A lot depends on just how "hard" those wrinkles are. I do iron mine on a regular ironing board... just repositioning a lot.

Sheri.a 06-26-2014 03:41 PM

I just finished ironing and starching the backing for a king size quilt. I believe this makes a big difference in a smooth back when I'm quilting. I have a wide (18") board and just take it a section at a time. Not fun, but it makes a difference.

Good luck.

michelleoc 06-26-2014 03:47 PM

Thanks for your advice, I know you're right. I think I'll mist it, toss it in the dryer to hopefully get the bigger wrinkles out and then iron the heck out of it. My project for tomorrow...

true4uca 06-26-2014 06:13 PM

I've stripped my bed and used my mattress as a huge ironing board, kinda low but got the job done.

franc36 06-26-2014 06:15 PM

If you still have wrinkles when you remove the fabric from the dryer, spray the wrinkles with Mary Ellen's Best Press. That is the best thing that I have found for removing stubborn wrinkles. I have only a regular sized ironing board; but by pressing in sections, I iron oversized, king size backing on it. I don't enjoy the ironing; but it is doable.

Gramie bj 06-26-2014 06:41 PM

I use my dinning room table. Covered with a mattress pad and sheet, held down with clamps. Still have to move it a couple of times but works great.

Madan49 06-26-2014 07:07 PM

As a longarm quilter, and a prolific home quilter, I gotta say.. if you don't iron it you'll probably regret it. Those wrinkles will creep in and give you grief later and you'll wish you had forced yourself to bite that bullet and make yourself just go ahead and do it, even though it's a pain in the patootie! :(

Dina 06-26-2014 07:08 PM

Ironing the backing is my least favorite part of quilting!! Luckily, I like all the other parts. :) I just reward myself for the ironing...usually with more fabric....

Dina

Peckish 06-26-2014 07:20 PM

You don't say if you're quilting on a longarm or a DSM. I have a friend who quilts about 30 quilts a month on the two machines she owns, mostly for charity. She doesn't have time or energy to iron backings. When she gets one that is badly wrinkled, she'll load it in the evening, spritz it with water, and let it hang to release the wrinkles.

If you don't have a frame, then I guess I'd go the damp dryer route. :)