Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Mission: Organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/)
-   -   A New Home At Last - And My First Basement Studio (https://www.quiltingboard.com/mission-organization-f23/new-home-last-my-first-basement-studio-t249519.html)

Krystyna 07-04-2014 09:32 AM

A New Home At Last - And My First Basement Studio

9 Attachment(s)
It's been a long journey since we lost our home (and my studio) to Superstorm Sandy, but 19 months later we finally moved into our new home on May 21st. :thumbup: I should say "new to us" since it was built in 1939! Since I decided to turn the finished basement into my new studio, the first task was replacing the 18 year old water heater -- and while we were at it, the original burner which was somehow converted from coal to gas! Then we upgraded the electrical system. In between chopping down the horrid tangle of overgrown shrubs and rotting trees, I turned my attention to the basement.

So ... come down into my girl cave ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481515[/ATTACH]

The front room is sort of an L shape. Here's the left side of the long part.
The door at the back leads to the boiler room, which is quite spacious.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481516[/ATTACH]

Here is the right side of that wall.
The door there leads into the laundry room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481517[/ATTACH]

And here is the little part of the L
Beyond it is the inner room.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481519[/ATTACH]

To the right is an old Singer with broken cabinet left by the old owners

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481521[/ATTACH]

And behind the old Singer is a closet with light that is about 10' long and full of shelves!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481523[/ATTACH]

Now please come into the back room ... if you can fit!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481525[/ATTACH]

Watch your step! I haven't unpacked yet!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481526[/ATTACH]

And look! There's another huge closet!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]481527[/ATTACH]

We lucked out with the tables. I had a couple from Ikea that were my son's -- and that I paid a bloody fortune for -- but we went to a tag sale and found the same type. The circular one and five others were only $150! Yay!

The back room really needs lighting. There are two weird fluorescent lights set into the walls and behind plastic of some sort. Very dingy.

And I am NOT a fan of paneling. There is a 5 gallon pail of very pale yellow paint that I was hoping my son and husband would apply to the walls ... but ... well, you know how that goes, so I've decided to hire my neighbor. Better to spend a few hundred dollars and have it done than be angry with my loved ones.

The floor needs a good scrubbing, but I'm waiting until it stops raining so the dehumidifier doesn't have a nervous breakdown.

There is also a spacious -- and rather disgusting -- laundry room with a double sink, more shelves and a full zero degree freezer. And that, of course, means my girl cave is stocked with lots of ice cream!

Stay tuned as the project progresses.

quiltingcandy 07-04-2014 09:44 AM

It's looking fantastic! What fun you must be having. Totally understand about the paneling. My mom & dad had it in the front room, while I was growing up it just was there but 40 years later, it still looked to be in good shape but made the front room look dated. When we put the house on the market 5 years ago my sister wanted to take it down but the real estate agent convinced her you never know what a potential buy wants, it may be the one thing that really grabs them and another may envision what it will look like gone, so not to bother with the expense.

Enjoy! Can hardly wait to see it when you are all done.

kdeems 07-04-2014 09:50 AM

Oh my! The potential of that space is limitless! Can't wait to see after it's painted and your "stuff" is unpacked.

Quiltngolfer 07-04-2014 10:21 AM

I'm so happy you have a nice home after the terrible Sandy incident. I looks like a huge and wonderful sewing studio. You will soon have it all organized and be making lovely quilts. Thanks for the tour!

Tartan 07-04-2014 10:25 AM

Lots of room which is nice! A coat of paint will brighten up the paneling but check to see if it needs primer first. Nice walls going down the stairs for displaying some of your work. Have fun whipping it into shape!

omacookie 07-04-2014 10:39 AM

Thanks for the tour. Your room will be sunny in light yellow SOON !!!! Hugs

Sandygirl 07-04-2014 11:37 AM

Bless you for going through that storm! I cannot imagine the horror and rebuilding your life!

loved your sense of fun and your tour. Cute! Great space! And a bonus sewing machine to boot!! Enjoy the new digs and happy creating.

sandy (not to be confused with the storm. ;)

AngeliaNR 07-04-2014 12:07 PM

I love that enormous closet with shelves! Congrats on the new home. My house was also built in 1939, and we have the converted coal to gas furnace, too. It's a huge cast iron one. We mostly heat with wood, but the old furnace works for backup.

Cam's gram 07-04-2014 01:43 PM

Looks good! So glad you're finally "home"!

Emma S 07-04-2014 04:27 PM

Been following your long and painful saga. Your determination to work your way through all the challenges has my admiration. What a great new space! It has so much potential, please keep us posted on your progress. I can't help but think about what I would do with all that space!