Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   bobbins running out quickly... what to do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bobbins-running-out-quickly-what-do-t25089.html)

diogirl 09-06-2009 07:14 AM

Whenever I sew, it seems my bobbin runs out and I have to stop, change it and feed the thread through and start all over again.. can you bypass the bobbin and just attach a spool from underneith and mount it somehow, just let the machine pull it from underneith? am i making any sense? :lol:

justwannaquilt 09-06-2009 07:24 AM

I doubt it but what I do is wind SEVERAL bobbins. I will check it when I know it is about time to get low, if the bobbin thread looks like it is going to run out mid seam, I change it. Then whatever "scrap" is left I save them on a card to baste my hexigons for GFG quilt! Cheap I know but hey!!!!

Maybe someone else will have an actual solution!

Ninnie 09-06-2009 07:27 AM

just get another spool of thread, take the machine one loose, slip the other one on and wind, then replace the machine one when done, you don't have to re thread that way

carrieg 09-06-2009 07:28 AM

I prepare a few bobbins at a time too. The thread you're using is also a variable.

Barbm 09-06-2009 07:30 AM

I make 3 at a time when I'm piecing a top. When I do fmq for a queen size I wind 8. When they run out, I just pop a new one, but I take a few seconds and swipe the bobbin area for dust. Usually after the 3, I do a full cleaning (take off the plate and dust everything and oil).

My Juki likes to be clean and oiled per the every 8 hours on the manual. And I'm not going to push it, I want it to last forever.

dunster 09-06-2009 08:01 AM

You absolutely cannot bypass the bobbin holder; it supplies the tension for the bottom thread.

I've just started sewing with Bottom Line thread from Superior Threads. I'm amazed at how much will go on the bobbin, and I'm using it for the top thread too. A spool seems to last forever, and the thread takes up so little space that the seams iron much crisper than with bulkier threads. I usually wind about 10 bobbins at a time, but when I started with this thread I wasn't sure that I would like it, so I wound only one bobbin. Now I'm going to go buy more Bottom Line and use it everywhere.

LindaR 09-06-2009 08:04 AM

I use alot of pre-wounds, they go forever LOL

tlrnhi 09-06-2009 08:09 AM

I always wind 4 or 5 at a time.
I tried the pre-wound, but my machine doesn't like them

Jim's Gem 09-06-2009 08:38 AM

I wind a whole bunch of bobbins at a time so that I don't have to stop and wind. My machine does have a separate winder so I don't have to unthread the machine to wind. One thing I did notice, however, it when I did not use the bobbin winder correctly, my tension was too loose winding it, it held a lot less thread. I am more careful to make sure that I have some tension on the thread and it will wind a lot more on the bobbin. I hope that I am making sense.

joeyoz 09-06-2009 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
You absolutely cannot bypass the bobbin holder; it supplies the tension for the bottom thread.

I've just started sewing with Bottom Line thread from Superior Threads. I'm amazed at how much will go on the bobbin, and I'm using it for the top thread too. A spool seems to last forever, and the thread takes up so little space that the seams iron much crisper than with bulkier threads. I usually wind about 10 bobbins at a time, but when I started with this thread I wasn't sure that I would like it, so I wound only one bobbin. Now I'm going to go buy more Bottom Line and use it everywhere.

I love Superior threads Bottom Line. I also use their Master Piece by Alex Anderson. Their spools have like 2000 or 3000 yds per spool. Lasts a very long time.