Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight DVD or You Tube repair video? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-dvd-you-tube-repair-video-t251269.html)

katier825 08-03-2014 08:36 AM

Featherweight DVD or You Tube repair video?

Does anyone have a link for online or DVD Featherweight repairs? I have the manual but thought hubby would be more inclined to watch a video. I see online some DVDs for $59, but right now I can't spend the cash.

My FW motor gets very hot after just a little use. My repair guy thinks it needs a new motor, but a while back, someone mentioned something about the belt. Thoughts?

Thanks!

cathyquilty 08-03-2014 08:51 AM

there is a yahoo group just for featherweights they are wonderful very helpful give them a try

Mizkaki 08-03-2014 09:00 AM

The motor belt on a 221 needs to be just tight enough to work, when properly adjusted it will seem loose. A belt that is too tight will cause the motor to get hot.

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 6830077)
Does anyone have a link for online or DVD Featherweight repairs? I have the manual but thought hubby would be more inclined to watch a video. I see online some DVDs for $59, but right now I can't spend the cash.

My FW motor gets very hot after just a little use. My repair guy thinks it needs a new motor, but a while back, someone mentioned something about the belt. Thoughts?

Thanks!

katier825 08-03-2014 09:40 AM

thanks for your replies!

singerguy 08-03-2014 09:56 AM

$59 seems too high for something you'll watch once. Basic FW tutorials are all over the internet. Although some may not be on videos but they do have pictures. Tell your hubby the cost of the video and he might think otherwise and
just read. Although it's a good investment, you will, at most, be watching it 1 time.

manicmike 08-03-2014 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 6830179)
$59 seems too high for something you'll watch once. Basic FW tutorials are all over the internet.

Yes what he said. What Cathy said too. The belt being too tight is the usual cause of an over worked motor. If it doesn't look like it's hanging slightly, it's too tight.

katier825 08-04-2014 01:33 AM

Would you happen to have a picture of how the belt should look?

manicmike 08-04-2014 03:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 6830960)
Would you happen to have a picture of how the belt should look?

Well, I just went to my 222k and adjusted the belt then took two pictures of how it looks. It hasn't been oiled for a while (or used) so probably a good test. This was the "sweet spot" between slipping and binding.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486221[/ATTACH]
The screwdriver was to show the belt deflection, or hanginess factor.
Here it is again with no screwdriver:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486222[/ATTACH]
And before anyone comments, yes I know the green electrical tape looks terrible: Just haven't got around to it yet.

Oh, and a replacement belt would probably help too (at least with my 222k)

singerguy 08-04-2014 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6831024)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]486221[/ATTACH]

And before anyone comments, yes I know the green electrical tape looks terrible: (at least with my 222k)

and a black tape would have looked better.....ha ha ha.

manicmike 08-04-2014 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by singerguy (Post 6831753)
and a black tape would have looked better.....ha ha ha.

Yes, but I didn't put it there. It just reminded me that I need to spend a little time making her beautiful again. A bit of polish wouldn't hurt either.