Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Hello from Kansas City :) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/hello-kansas-city-t251448.html)

kimsei 08-06-2014 09:12 PM

Hello from Kansas City :)

Hey everyone! :wave:

I'm from Kansas City and have decided to try to take on quilting! I've been interested in it since I was a teenager, but am just now getting around to trying it in my early 30's. I have dabbled in sewing but am in no way close to being an expert. I was looking for an online community to get newbie help from and inspiration! I have so far bought the fabric for my first project, and will post pictures as soon as I begin on it.

My only concern is that this seems like it will be an expensive hobby. Today, I was looking for quilt finishing services in my area, and while .015 an inch doesn't seem like a lot, that adds up to 80 bucks for a throw! :shock: I might only ever finish the one quilt if I don't figure out how to do that part myself. I guess I'll start saving up my Joann's coupons and try to penny pinch in other areas...

How do you guys save money quilting? Do you invest in the quilting machine and dedicate a room in your house to it, or just do the finishing by hand? Perhaps it's more expensive because I'm in a city to use a quilting service? As of now, by hand seems to be my best option, but I'm not sure if I'll ever finish one that way... eeeek.

Anyway, nice to be here. Excited to learn, excited to create! :sew: :thumbup:

Tartan 08-06-2014 09:17 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Fabric is expensive so I look for sale fabric or coupons. There are fabrics that Quiltingboard members have in the Sale section of QB too.

Patch-tastic 08-06-2014 09:23 PM

Hi from Devon UK. I buy the higher quality fabric when they are on sale and use a discount fabric store for other fabrics for backing and binding etc. I have till now free motion quilted my own stuff but you might also like to try quilt as you methods. In any event quilting is addictive and I doubt that you will make just one!:)

Lori B. 08-07-2014 03:55 AM

Welcome from Michigan!:)

SueDor 08-07-2014 04:20 AM

Hi from Ohio!

kimsei 08-07-2014 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Patch-tastic (Post 6835202)
Hi from Devon UK. I buy the higher quality fabric when they are on sale and use a discount fabric store for other fabrics for backing and binding etc. I have till now free motion quilted my own stuff but you might also like to try quilt as you methods. In any event quilting is addictive and I doubt that you will make just one!:)

To demonstrate how noob I am, I didn't even know there was a thing called free motion quilting :shock: I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THIS! I was kind of depressed after I realized how expensive it was to get a quilt finished. I found a bunch of youtube tutorials to watch about the free motion stuff. So much to learn! I'm so excited.

Do you guys prefer to buy fabric online or in person? Can you get better deals online?

Abby'smom 08-07-2014 04:56 AM

:) welcome from se TX -- expensive but there are sales and coupons -- I do my own quilting -- I started by handquilting and then have added some machine quilting skills -- it is a fun hobby!!!

Moonglow 08-07-2014 05:11 AM

Hello and welcome from Australia.

Nammie to 7 08-07-2014 05:51 AM

Welcome from South Dakota--find yourself a quilt guild to join -- you will gets lots of help there. You can do straight line quilting and free motion quilting --as your skill level increases you will try more types of quilting. Enjoy the whole process!

Patch-tastic 08-07-2014 08:30 AM

I buy some fabric on line from the USA as I am in England. I am in love with Kona Bay fabrics and we are always behind in the new fabric ranges. I buy on line from all over the UK and in person, I also buy fabric whenever I travel abroad, so in my stash I have fabrics from all over Europe, Australia, USA and on and on. I have also brought fabric from Wallmart at very good prices when visiting the US.