Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy Lone Star Color Conundrum (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-lone-star-color-conundrum-t251664.html)

greyhounder 08-11-2014 12:46 AM

Scrappy Lone Star Color Conundrum

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all,
I've spent the past week putting together a lone star out of my scrap bag, no new fabric. All I had left were left-overs from baby quilts and scrapped clothes. I am trying to decide on a fabric for the background that will make it less baby-quilty. I found 2m of lovely grey cotton in a thrift store bargain bin. This is what it looks like. I think that it might look quite nice with a red binding. Thoughts? Maybe a border? Since the project has cost next to nothing I would be willing to purchase something more-- just asking for opinions-- is the grey too *bleh*?

Also-- I found THIS! machine in the storage room of my boyfriend's apartment! He thought it was an end-table:p! I am now watching all these lovely videos on reviving old machines and hope to quilt this lone star on my new friend! As a beginning machine-quilter, am I likely to ruin this quilt top by getting too excited by an antique machine? I will definitely do a few small quilting practices (make a new set of trivets for the bf's mother). Are these vintage machines as scary as they look? *I'm soo excited!*

Lastly, I can't find all-cotton batting (in Budapest). I have found what I believe is 80-20, but the shopkeeper can't tell me for certain, she just said it wasn't only cotton. I was hoping to make this all-cotton, I like the feel. Any big difference between 100% cotton and 80-20 batting?

Thanks in advance!

Sisty88 08-11-2014 01:01 AM

Wow! That is beautiful! I don't think it looks baby quilty at all! I love the fabric with the circles, it reminds me of a peacock's fan! I quite like the grey with it, my usual choice is black or grey so I might be a bit biased! Whatever you do it will be fantastic!
I'm afraid I don't know anything about vintage machines so can't help you there! And regarding batting, I also don't know about the 80/20. I always use cotton/bamboo 50/50 because I liked it so I bought a whole bolt of it!

greyhounder 08-11-2014 01:10 AM

The fabric with the circles is my favorite! I found it on trash day :P its an old Hungarian ladies house coat. I washed it and backed it with fusible stabilizer. You can't quite see but surround the center black dot is that same lime green in the next diamonds. It is detailed with the same grey as the background. Thanks for your advice! I wonder if I can find cotton/bamboo, might have to take a train trip!

katier825 08-11-2014 01:28 AM

I think the grey looks fine with it. I used to only use cotton batting, now I'm hooked on Hobbs 80/20. I love it! It sews up as nice as the Warm & Natural, but has a nicer drape to it. It's also less expensive. I would have to audition colors for the binding, but at first glance, I'd try a green or blue. If you don't have any fabric to audition, try other household items like towels or tablecloths, something like that just to get an idea of how it would look at the edge. Take a pic and look at it a bit before you decide.

Antique machines are not scary! They are usually much simpler to use and sew nicer than the newer ones.

117becca 08-11-2014 02:46 AM

I LOVE that quilt!!! I can't remember if i've ever seen the lone star pattern done w/ pattern fabrics - but that is gorgeous!!! The blackish fabric is perfect, too!

Tartan 08-11-2014 03:11 AM

I think the dark gray fabric is a nice frame for the star. I would bind it with the bright green if you have any of it left.

QuiltnNan 08-11-2014 03:21 AM

you are doing a great job on that beautiful lone star. and i love your machine. i love using 80/20... it's like putting poly in fabric... it washes nicely and wrinkles less :)

ManiacQuilter2 08-11-2014 03:36 AM

I think the grey works but I would like to have seen how the black work too. I also use only Hobbs 80/20. it will give a little puffiness to accent your quilting. I have made and quilted many Lone Star quilts and I stitch a curve on each side of the diamond.

QuiltingVagabond 08-11-2014 03:52 AM

Your scrappy lone star looks great and the gray background is nice too.
Ask your questions about your machine over in the Vintage Machine section of the board, there are some very helpful people hanging out over there!

schoolteacher 08-11-2014 04:01 AM

Beautiful quilt and I agree with the rest about using a dark gray or black. You've done a terrific job!! I absolutely love the old Singer!! What a cutie to think it was an end-table. I know nothing about old machines but from reading on this forum, they are an excellent choice. On another note, it always amazes me to see the forum reach across the ocean. Welcome from SW Iowa.