Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Granddaughter getting married NEED HELP! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/granddaughter-getting-married-need-help-t252030.html)

papagrandma12 08-17-2014 01:05 PM

Granddaughter getting married NEED HELP!

Please help me! My granddaughter is getting married in a year and I want to make her a Dresden Plate quilt. She wants orange, tan, yellow, teal in the quilt. I need a 5th color for the Dresdan Plate and a 6th color for the center. Also what would you suggest for sashing and cornerstones. I'm asking for advice from you. Can you help me find the fabric. I am terrible at picking out fabric. I love making quilts but am terrible at picking out the right fabric.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

dakotamaid 08-17-2014 01:10 PM

Do you already have some fabric that you are thinking of using? If so pictures would be helpful for those helping.

OR:

If you have access to a local quilt shop go there. The ladies that work there are usually very good at helping.

ManiacQuilter2 08-17-2014 01:12 PM

WOW, those colors are going to be a challenge. I would go down to your LQS and see what they have in stock. Good Luck. Keep on a schedule and you will have it done in time for the wedding !!

Nammie to 7 08-17-2014 01:16 PM

You will do fine -- pick out a focus fabric with those colors and make the rest of your choices from there. That is a fun quilt to make.

Old_Rosebud 08-17-2014 01:35 PM

How about doing each dresden block in one color but different shades? So you would have an orange dresden, but each blade would be a progressively lighter shade. Then you could do the same with the teal, tan, yellow etc. I wish I could draw you a picture of what is in my head. :)

dd 08-17-2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Old_Rosebud (Post 6848728)
How about doing each dresden block in one color but different shades? So you would have an orange dresden, but each blade would be a progressively lighter shade. Then you could do the same with the teal, tan, yellow etc. I wish I could draw you a picture of what is in my head. :)

I like that idea. I was just going to say that I think the centers are supposed to be yellow but you can use any color. As you know.

Jackie Spencer 08-17-2014 01:44 PM

I would pick 2 of the same colors you have already picked, only in a different shade. I have seen Dresdens with all colors in the centers.

Sandygirl 08-17-2014 01:49 PM

Chocolate brown as the 5th color. Let your LQS help.
sandy

PenniF 08-17-2014 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Old_Rosebud (Post 6848728)

This really sounds like your best option for these colors....you could also do different patterned fabrics of the same color - one color per plate - rather than graduated shades.

nativetexan 08-17-2014 03:26 PM

You could decide on a yellow or orange background. I've seen backgrounds with yellow, orange or red backgrounds and they look wonderful. Good luck.