Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I am looking for a dry iron in Canada? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-am-looking-dry-iron-canada-t252417.html)

judylg 08-24-2014 02:30 PM

I am looking for a dry iron in Canada?

Anyone bought one here and from where? I would like to try one, as my water has so many minerals in it that steam does not work, so use a water squirt bottle to dampen. I thought that the smooth plate would be better as compared to using an intended for steam iron dry. Anyone have any experience with a dry iron? Thank you, if this is in the wrong area of the forum, I apologize.

kathy 08-24-2014 02:33 PM

I bought one a few years ago, from a catalog. I can't recall the name, no it's Vermont Country Store! they have lots of old timey things, hard to find stuff.

katier825 08-24-2014 02:50 PM

I bought one at Home Depot, I believe it was the same model that Vermont Country Store sells. It was ok, but it didn't get as hot as I would like. I started using a steam iron without water in it. It's still not as good as using steam. You'd think that with all the technological advances in other areas, someone could invent one that doesn't spit dirty water. :)

KalamaQuilts 08-24-2014 03:11 PM

I bought a vintage flat sole one off ebay. looks new in box :) It will last forever.

judylg 08-24-2014 04:00 PM

My mother had a flat iron, too. She used it for years and boy did it get hot. Whether anything new on the market is as good, will have to see and I will do my best to find one.

butterfly48 08-24-2014 06:09 PM

I use distiled water in my steam iron, you might want to try that.

Cactus Stitchin 08-24-2014 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly48 (Post 6858500)
I use distiled water in my steam iron, you might want to try that.

butterfly48 - I agree; we have some pretty horrible water in Arizona so that's what I use all the time. It's not that expensive to buy by the gallon and it lasts for quite a long time.

NJ Quilter 08-24-2014 06:23 PM

Sent you a PM. Let me know.

Silver Needle 08-24-2014 06:34 PM

I got one from Vermont Country Store and love it. It has a little weight to it. I pre-wash all my fabrics then really like the sole plate on this iron for pressing the fabric dry. The only iron I've had is that didn't spit was the Euro-steam I bought at a quilt show last year. It's great but you have to not mind refilling it often and waiting for the pressure to build back up. It's still better than a spitting steam iron and more affordable for me than professional steam system.

tapper 08-25-2014 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 6858239)
I bought one at Home Depot, I believe it was the same model that Vermont Country Store sells. It was ok, but it didn't get as hot as I would like. I started using a steam iron without water in it. It's still not as good as using steam. You'd think that with all the technological advances in other areas, someone could invent one that doesn't spit dirty water. :)

This was my experience. I have had several irons....dry ones don't get really hot and the steam irons spit.Had a great one many moons ago. Gave it to my son when he moved and he left it behind when he moved again.