Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   2 questions about wall hangings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/2-questions-about-wall-hangings-t252591.html)

charlottequilts 08-27-2014 03:09 PM

2 questions about wall hangings

Hi, everyone -

I really need advice on this one! I'm going to make a wall hanging for a baby's room. I've been thinking about it forever, and it's time to jump in and start.

I'm going to use a both paper pieced/appliqued blocks and some rectangles that have embroidered quotes on them. It will have a lot of sentimental significance.

So, what I'm wondering is: 1) I should use a light polyester batt, right? Or other kind?

And 2, since it will likely be stored awhile before hanging, should I wash it when it's done? Usually, it seems like they're never washed, but I'm worried about spots appearing later on from skin oil, etc. I wash my hands a lot when working, but still.

And if I do wash it, then it won't be nice and smooth like the ones I've seen, and the embroidery won't be as clear to read. :( Should I back the top with something and wash/press it before sandwiching?

Please tell me what I'm missing here. It surely is something. :)

Hugs,
Charlotte

lynnie 08-27-2014 03:34 PM

I would definitely wash it. just read on a thread today that 501 spray made spots.
Oils from you hands could make spots. I wouldn't worry to much about shrinkage. pre-wash everything with a color catcher( I should heed my own advice). then store it with acid free tissue paper. good luck and show us what you do.

ghostrider 08-27-2014 03:42 PM

I'm not sure why you assume you should use a poly batting. I use W&N for all my wall quilts except those made for show and for those I use wool. W&N hangs better, flatter, and doesn't sag like poly. If you want it clean, but not puckery, I'd probably hand wash the top in cold water when it's done but before sandwiching and quilting. You could also pre-wash the batting, but only if you decide to wash the piece after quilting.

ube quilting 08-27-2014 03:55 PM

I agree with washing the batting if it is not a big wall hanging. Shrink the batting before you put the layers together. Did you wash your fabrics before making the quilt top. Yes would be a good answer to this if you are concerned with shrinking and want the quilt to be flat. I use Warm and Natural in all my WHs and they hang very nice and the quilting has enough dimension for character, not to flat or to lofty.
peace

Jennie and Me 08-27-2014 05:31 PM

If you feel the need to wash it, do so, but don't machine dry it. Lay it out and block it. And if it is going to be stored, don't fold it, roll it or hang it in the closet with a pants hanger.

charlottequilts 08-27-2014 05:41 PM

Wow, these are very helpful responses. As you can tell, I've never made a wall hanging. :)

I had the idea the batt had to be poly because it would be light in weight. I usually use Quilter's Dream, but it seems too soft for this. WN seems stiffer, so that would likely help.

I always prewash fabric. I guess I lost sight of the idea of the shrinkage being the batting. I could prewash it for sure. I know I've read ideas about doing it here on the board (at least, some ways Not to do it!)

I wish there were a way to post pictures here that wouldn't end up outside the board. This will be sort of an "awwww" design (no matter how it turns out, technically!) and it would be disconcerting to bump into it online. I would love to share it with the board, once it's done, were there a way to leave it here.

Thanks for reaching out to help, and I'll be eagerly watching to see if others have ideas to share.

Hugs,
Charlotte

Doggramma 08-27-2014 05:55 PM

I just made a wool applique wall hanging and I backed it with fusible Peltex after I finished the applique and embellishments. The Peltex is stiff but it's going to be nice and flat and stiff when I hang it.

Peckish 08-27-2014 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts (Post 6862839)
I wish there were a way to post pictures here that wouldn't end up outside the board. I would love to share it with the board, once it's done, were there a way to leave it here.

Unfortunately, there is no way to ensure that your picture stays here. We're also not allowed to watermark or copyright our photos, which is why I don't post any.

Good luck on your wall hanging, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful!

ghostrider 08-27-2014 08:59 PM

One other suggestion from me would be to add a full width sleeve for hanging it. It's the best way to evenly support the full weight of the piece without the risk of distortion over time. You can make it narrower than this tute suggests since it's not for a show entry, but make sure to sew the top edge at least ½" below the top of the binding (I go ¾" to 1" below) or the sleeve will show above the quilt when hung.
http://www.bluemoonriver.com/QuiltSleeve.pdf

ManiacQuilter2 08-28-2014 01:48 AM

I don't use any products so I never wash quilts after they are finished. Maybe it is from years of putting my quilts in competition. I am not a big fan of polyester and I use Hobbs 80/20. I like that the batting has a little fluff to display my machine quilting. I also would install a rod pocket or sleeve for hanging the quilt.