Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there something better? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-something-better-t253236.html)

one-and-only 09-08-2014 04:26 AM

Is there something better?

I am in charge of the guest book for a baby shower, along with the quilt top. My idea is to have each guest sign a charm size piece of fabric to later be put together for the backing on the quilt. The charm pack I purchased is from the same line of fabrics being used in the quilt top. I was thinking of using sharpie markers for the pens. Or is there something better to use? Thanks You!

Cathy77 09-08-2014 04:42 AM

I've seen this tutorial and always thought that it is a cute idea for a shower.

Just make sure you get good quality spray (and use it outside)!

Billi 09-08-2014 04:52 AM

I keep hearing that sharpies fade very quickly I can't not remember the name of the better choice. But I'm pretty sure you can buy them at Joanns or your LQS.

Is the quilt intended to be used or a decoration for the room? Baby quilts get washed more than the average quilt I don't know if any pen would hold up to that kind of love.

I remembered Its micron pigma pens.

Also quite a while ago someone did a pen experiment and posted the results I searched for it but came up empty but maybe you can find it. I'm pretty sure it was in the general section.

Nammie to 7 09-08-2014 04:56 AM

Use Pigma Pens instead.

Doggramma 09-08-2014 08:27 AM

I've used Pigma pens also for wedding quilt squares. And it helps to have freezer paper on the back to make it easier for people to write on the fabric.

ManiacQuilter2 09-08-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6879395)
Use Pigma Pens instead.

I have ONLY and always used Pigma pens. You can normally find them at JAF

ckcowl 09-08-2014 09:25 AM

Sharpies bleed/fuzz around the edges. Permanent micron pigma pens are fade resistant and create a nice, clear, smooth line. Press freezer paper to the back of the squares for stability and draw a pencil line 1/2" inside the square to give the guests a guide (otherwise some people will write from edge to edge and some writing will be lost in the seam allowance)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 09-08-2014 09:55 AM

As ckcowl said, make sure to mark the seam allowances prominently. There have been many posts on here about shower quilts that have gone awry due to people writing in the seam allowances.

NanaCsews2 09-08-2014 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6879796)
As ckcowl said, make sure to mark the seam allowances prominently. There have been many posts on here about shower quilts that have gone awry due to people writing in the seam allowances.

Ugh! I agree! I mistakenly did this at a wedding once and made note of it in front of others signing squares of fabrics. They questioned why I was upset and muttering in whispers to myself (these are all non-sewing relatives). I told them being a quilter I should have thought of staying within a boundary BEFORE I started rambling my heartfelt message to the bride and groom on a small piece of fabric, knowing it was going into an heirloom memory. We used fine line Sharpies, but I believe it was going to be a wall-hanging, not a quilt.

citruscountyquilter 09-08-2014 12:47 PM

Definitely Pigma pens and not sharpies. Freezer paper a must too. If you don't want to mark the seam allowance on all the squares make a few templates that can be placed over the squares and have the person write in the blank space.