Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-embroidery-machine-keeps-shredding-threads-help-t254449.html)

litacats 09-28-2014 04:47 AM

brother embroidery machine keeps shredding threads HELP

my Brother 1500D keeps shredding the threads, it has been in the Dr's twice and still shreds the thread, I am using Brother threads, and I have to rethread the machine every few minutes and sometimes seconds today I hadn't even cut the thread when it shredded again, this is so frustrating, any suggestions would be great. I have tried other threads and it does the same thing, I am threading the machine properly, so I am at a loss as to what to do next. sometimes the thread is twisted around the arm that goes up and down inside the machine and it is so hard to clean it all out.

Mitch's mom 09-28-2014 04:52 AM

There may be a part of the tension mechanism that looks like 2 rubber wheels that the thread runs between, it gets a groove worn in it from the thread. Mine drove me crazy for 2 days before i finally said enough. The part cost 75.00 but it was money well spent.

You can't see it without taking the end cover off the machine.

PaperPrincess 09-28-2014 05:00 AM

When you took it in for repairs, they should have done a sample embroidery to verify that everything was working properly. My repair guy leaves the finished embroidery in the machine when it's returned. If it's still doing this after being 'repaired' twice, I would contact your repair site & make an appointment to bring it in, set it up and do an embroidery to show them what's happening. If it works for them and not for you, something is different!

litacats 09-28-2014 05:22 AM

the sample embroidery they do is so small and looks ok but I bring the machine home and within days it is breaking threads again I can't afford to keep getting it repaired, I have had the end cover of and the cover over where the thread goes I cleaned between the tension rings all to no avail

Peckish 09-28-2014 05:56 AM

What size needle are you using? If your needle is the wrong size for your thread, it will cause shredding. Topstitch needles have a longer "scarf" - a groove in the needle that protects the thread from friction as it moves in and out of the fabric. Try one and see if it helps?

mermaid 09-28-2014 06:12 AM

run your finger around the needle plate and the bobbin case, also. You may have a nick/ burr that is cutting the thread & causing it to shred. Also, try changing thread brand....just because it is " Brother" thread doesn't mean the machine likes it...one of mine does not.

Dolphyngyrl 09-28-2014 06:16 AM

If within days its acting up you should not be paying my repairs have a 90day warranty, there should be a set time period if not fixed you can bring back without a 2nd charge for labor otherwise I would find a new repairman

bluteddi 09-28-2014 08:59 AM

I agree,,, I'd ck and even change the needle.... perhaps it has a little bur on it.... I've had this happen quite a bit recently with NEW needles...

lalaland 09-28-2014 10:31 AM

Shredding can happen with regular and embroidery machines, it's not uncommon. The advice I was given is to use 80/12 topstitch needles (I use 75/11 if I'm making lace), really cuts down on the friction. I use only topstitch needles on my sewing and embroidery machines now.

Also, consider changing the thread. Using Brother thread is no guarantee. My Innovis didn't like the Brother thread, nor did it like rayon thread and it hated Madiera thread. It loved Isacord thread and also a cheaper polyester embroidery thread I purchased from Threadart. I even used regular sewing thread, cotton thread, and serger thread in it.

Also, did you register your machine with Brother? They have a tech department that will answer any of your questions or troubleshoot any problem you may be having but you must register your machine with them to get that service. They also provide free embroidery designs every month. Doesn't matter if you are the original owner of the machine or not, you can register any Brother machine, new or used.

bigredharley 09-28-2014 03:29 PM

I went through several needle changes and turns out it was a bur on the bobbin case. does yours have a "spare"? My baby lock came with one, and that solved it.