Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a trick to matching seams? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-trick-matching-seams-t254482.html)

Mamacandoit 09-28-2014 02:52 PM

Is there a trick to matching seams?

I try hard to be accurate but sometimes when I sew sew, say two blocks together and press open the points/seams don't match very well.
I'm a new quilter...are there any methods to avoid this?

thanks

Peckish 09-28-2014 03:06 PM

There's a couple of things you can do. One, you can "nest" your seams. When you sew a seam, flip it over and press the allowances in one direction. For the next block, press the allowances in the other direction. Then, when you sew these two blocks together, the seams will sort of nest or lock. If my explanation isn't making sense, you can google "how to nest seams" and you should be able to find videos or illustrated tutorials.

Another thing you can do is pin. I like to do this especially with blocks where I've pressed the seams open. Stick a pin in the seam, between the two patches, a quarter inch in from the raw edge. Lay the block on top of the next block, stick the same pin in that block a quarter inch in from the raw edge. Dab a dot of Elmer's washable glue in the seam allowance, touch a hot iron to dry it, remove pin, and sew. Again, if this isn't making sense, google "How to fix mismatched seams" and you should be able to find illustrations.

hth :thumbup:

ShelleyCS 09-28-2014 03:07 PM

Match the seams/ends and then ease in the middle. That's my suggestion!

PenniF 09-28-2014 03:17 PM

Both the of above .....and i will add TWO pins...i have found that once i match the seam or point, if i put a pin on each side what i am trying to match, i have much better luck....OH...and i take them out one at a time - and only when i'm 1 stitch away.

quilt1950 09-28-2014 04:09 PM

Glue Stick!!! I try to keep my cutting accurate, my 1/4" seam allowance accurate, I nest my seams, and if all that fails, I rip some stitches, and use my Elmers glue stick.

quiltingcandy 09-28-2014 04:21 PM

Since I have started using the glue stick my seams are matching up so much better. I don't pin either, I use the clips. I put the glue on, then clip it and go the row. The matching is so much better.

Auntevie 09-28-2014 04:24 PM

Love love love using elmers washable glue stick! For me, it's the easiest and most accurate way to get those seams to match. The fabric doesn't shift or slide so they stay together. I seldom use pins once I discovered this.

carolaug 09-28-2014 04:24 PM

I normally pin but if I am having a bit of trouble I use the glue stick. I also like to iron my seams open. Besure to iron your pieces that really helps.

SewingGB 09-28-2014 04:32 PM

Do you think the glue stick method would help with triangle pieces also (i.e. Jaybird patterns)? I did the rock candy table topper at a retreat, it kicked my tail, I completed but let's just say don't look too close :)

NJ Quilter 09-29-2014 02:58 AM

I put a pin straight down through the seam/point on the top block. Then put that same pin through the seam/point on the underneath block. Hold that pin perfectly straight up/down then place pins on either side through the 2 blocks and remove the up/down pin. This should hold your seam in place. I also (gasp!) sew over pins which I find helps things stay in place until they are sewn together.