Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New to forum--VSM Junkie w/cabinet ?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-forum-vsm-junkie-w-cabinet-t256743.html)

sewverykerie 11-13-2014 08:07 AM

New to forum--VSM Junkie w/cabinet ??

1 Attachment(s)
I'm SO glad to have found this board and forum! I'm a VSM junkie. My family and I live in Oklahoma. I've been collecting and rehabbing vintage sewing machines for a couple of years now. Most recently, my hubby has gotten on board, and he's quite an asset. He finds more machines than I do, but that's OK with me!

I picked up a Singer 401A off of my local Craigslist with this desk. I've done quite a few searches on this particular desk, but I've come up with nothing. Does anyone know anything about it? The "bench" in front of it DID NOT come with it. I all ready had it. I just thought they looked fairly nice together.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]498694[/ATTACH]

Neesie 11-13-2014 08:32 AM

Howdy, from Texas! :)

Mariposa 11-13-2014 08:35 AM

Howdy and welcome! Your desk and bench are a nice set! :)

Mrs. SewNSew 11-13-2014 08:44 AM

Welcome to the dark side! I haven't seen that desk before. I also have a 401A but it came in a No. 71 cabinet. I love that machine!

Rodney 11-13-2014 08:52 AM

Welcome!
What I've seen is there was a variety of furniture companies making sewing machine desks and cabinets, not just sewing machine companies. It's very possible your desk is an aftermarket item instead of a Singer desk. It looks to be well made and from the same period as your stool and 401A. They look good together.
Rodney

tessagin 11-13-2014 08:58 AM

Welcome from the Gulf! I have a 401 with a desk. Mine was in the cabinet drop down. You can google and see the different styles. I have done so much with my 401 already and I love it.

SteveH 11-13-2014 09:30 AM

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your new machine!

Jeanette Frantz 11-13-2014 12:17 PM

Welcome to the Board from a transplanted Arkie! Have been in Florida for the past 40+ years! I'm not an expert, I mostly just listen because sometimes when I open my mouth it doesn't come out the way I mean it! I've lived in Oklahoma, have a sister close to Tulsa, a cousin in Cleo Springs, an uncle in Edmund, and cousins in and around Oklahoma City, so many that I can't keep up with them! I'll bet your 401 is a real humdinger of a machine -- I have a 403A that my son picked up at Goodwill recently and I love it!

Jeanette

Cari-in-Oly 11-13-2014 12:55 PM

Welcome from Washington! That's a very nice desk. I've seen a few of these, and I've also seen people try to pass off the old similar styled typewriter desks as sewing desks.

Cari

Barb in Louisiana 11-13-2014 02:59 PM

Welcome from Louisiana. I am a beginning collector of VSM. My first FW, serialed in my birth year, 1947, is due in any day.