Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need your honest opinions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-your-honest-opinions-t257978.html)

Buckeye Rose 12-09-2014 08:43 AM

I need your honest opinions

1 Attachment(s)
I am making this quilt for a dear friend and have run into a couple issues. I gave the friend the fabric requirements and a pic of the quilt....she bought all the fabric. The first problem is that there is very little color to the fabrics, so that I have a hard time seeing any definition between the grassy hillside and the sky. A couple of the fabrics are white with blue/green dots, so almost no color. I have plans to fmq in yellow rays for the sun, doing grass blades for the green area and something that looks like clouds in the blue. I thought about adding a couple of lady bugs in the green area, so in the pic I just laid a couple in the lightest places. Will the lady bugs be too much color, drawing the eyes away from the sheep? The customer has given me complete freedom to do whatever I think....that could be scary! I think the sheep turned out great, using sherpa for the sheep and making the ears floppy. Sooooo....I am open to hearing any suggestions that will give this quilt a better visual appearance. TIA, Rose

Kassaundra 12-09-2014 08:54 AM

I think the lady bugs are a cute addition, I don't think they will take away from the sheep at all.

Lori S 12-09-2014 08:58 AM

I think the deep color of the lady bugs does indeed draw your eye to them. Maybe make them a bit smaller. and not so close to each( the two on the left) other so that the eye will travel.

nativetexan 12-09-2014 09:09 AM

all your stitching ideas sound very good. the eyes of the sheep look a tad scary to me. i once scared a child with a Humpty Dumpty doll due to his eyes. Anyway, try smaller lady bugs as suggested and see how you like it then.

Kitsie 12-09-2014 09:14 AM

Love the idea! Think I would use red with black polka dots for the ladybugs.

PatPitter 12-09-2014 09:32 AM

I think the FMQ will help define the different areas.

QuiltnNan 12-09-2014 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 7001401)
I think the deep color of the lady bugs does indeed draw your eye to them. Maybe make them a bit smaller. and not so close to each( the two on the left) other so that the eye will travel.

this was my first thought, too

mea12 12-09-2014 02:10 PM

agree the lady bugs need to be smaller and perhaps a lighter shade of red since the majority of the quilt is palest pastels. maybe a honeybee or cluster of small flowers would not be as distracting. I do see a deliniation between green grass and blue sky so once you define the 4 major elements ..ground, sky, sheep and sun...with FMQ it will very nice!

Tartan 12-09-2014 02:33 PM

I think I would wait until quilted to see. If you use a darker green thread to quilt in the grass. I would make the lady bugs as an applique that I could hand applique stitch on at the end if they look okay after quilting.

isewman 12-09-2014 02:39 PM

I agree with some of the members. I would go with 2-3 lady bugs, in the quilt somewhere.