Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Inherited old Singer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/inherited-old-singer-t258226.html)

SueSew 12-14-2014 05:46 PM

Inherited old Singer

2 Attachment(s)
What is it? Should I just plug it in and see what happens?

It came with the wood cover, a lot of strange looking feet, and a long steel lever which may be a sort of control mechanism. There was no foot pedal .[ATTACH=CONFIG]502499[/ATTACH]

???

looks well used, cord is worn.

This is the serial number

Appreciate any input! thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502501[/ATTACH]

yroger54 12-14-2014 05:59 PM

It's a model 99 with a serial number allocated Jan. 20, 1926.
The long bar probably fits into a hole below and to the right of the machine in the wooden base to control like a foot controller.
Roger

ann31039 12-14-2014 06:00 PM

I think it's a model 99 from January 20, 1926. I just saw my first "in real life" at a thrift mall today. Fell in love with it. Unfortunately they seller thought it was made of solid gold. Very cute little things. You should be able to get a pedal for it on ebay.

Macybaby 12-14-2014 06:05 PM

It's a 99. There should be a hole in the front side near the back of the machine- that is where that lever goes, push with your knee to activate the control.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psfc628e65.jpg

You can easily convert this machine to take a newer style cord and foot control if you don't like using the knee bar, since it sounds like it needs to be rewired anyway.

MABW 12-15-2014 09:14 AM

The 99 was the 3/4 size of the 66. That one you have looks like the twin of mine sitting on my laundry table:)If you are going to use it check the motor and all cords first. A lot if not all of the older motors had alum wiring, not safe!It looks in great shape for it's age!

SueSew 12-15-2014 01:11 PM

MABW, It does look in good shape, but I will have it checked out before I start a fire. :)

I had never spent time with one or paid much attention to the old machines, and I am stunned by how thoroughly feminine and lovely it is for a piece of black-painted steel! all the decorative gold stencils, and there is an aluminum (?) or stainless shiny plate at the side of the needle arm and it isall filigree sort of designs, ever so pretty. Even the shape of the machine itself has graceful curves, not utilitarian looking.

Maybe I will just enjoy looking at it for a while!

Cogito 12-16-2014 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by SueSew (Post 7009155)
I had never spent time with one or paid much attention to the old machines, and I am stunned by how thoroughly feminine and lovely it is for a piece of black-painted steel! all the decorative gold stencils, and there is an aluminum (?) or stainless shiny plate at the side of the needle arm and it isall filigree sort of designs, ever so pretty. Even the shape of the machine itself has graceful curves, not utilitarian looking.

Wow, I never looked at my machines that way before. Don't get me wrong.....I love these old machines for their beauty in engineering and longevity. But I am thrilled you gave me the opportunity to stop and look at them in that light. I so agree!

chris_quilts 12-16-2014 10:38 PM

She's very pretty and you've been bitten by the bug. Watch out. No vaccination is available.

nygal 12-17-2014 02:41 AM

I own it's sister machine. lol Look just like mine.

Sewnoma 12-18-2014 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have one of these 99's too, but mine is a newer generation (from the 50's) so where yours has filigree and frilly decals, mine has vertical stripes and sort of Greek-key ish decals. It's still a very pretty little machine though - I was just saying it's the prettiest machine I own (out of 11 or 12, I'm afraid to count).

Here's mine. I just got her about 2 months ago.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502908[/ATTACH]