Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/)
-   -   new friends (https://www.quiltingboard.com/offline-events-announcements-discussions-f16/new-friends-t258431.html)

bezzie2013 12-19-2014 12:11 AM

new friends

Hello, I am looking for quilters from this board who live in my area i would love to start a group where we get together and chat and sew or gossisp i can host sometimes i guess i am just looking for like minded friends I live In stafford va so if you are interested let me know.

Vat 12-19-2014 01:27 AM

Sorry, I am near Birmingham , Ala. but hang in there you will find some one out there. Is there a quilt guild in your area? The guild I belong to is near 200 members but we have smaller groups within the guild called "bees". The smaller group I belong to has 16 members, some of the bees are smaller and some are larger (each sort of does their own thing). We meet once a month in one of our homes. The hostess has lunch and we usually have show and tell, sometimes a short project, if anyone has a problem and needs help we all offer opinions, etc., etc. Lots of fun for we all have some of the same interest. It is like a sisterhood. Good Luck ! !

NJ Quilter 12-19-2014 02:28 AM

I started something like that with a couple of friends. We were all friends from a different organization initially but one of them is my quilting 'mentor'. The other became interested in quilting so we decided we'd have a 'stitch & *itch' evening. We quickly learned that we did very little stitching and much more *itching. So we changed it to 'wine & whine' and added another gal to the group. We meet monthly as well, at my home, while DH is out to a meeting. Great fun. But not a stitch of sewing gets done then! I just can't manage sewing and chatting at the same time.

somoquilter 12-19-2014 09:47 AM

I would like to do this same thing in my area. It's been so hard to find quilters who can get together on a monthly basis. I am in south Mississippi, about an hour south & east of Hattiesburg. Anyone close to me?
ETA We have moved down here from Missouri, at least for the winter)

junercrosslin 12-20-2014 09:30 AM

Please check your messages. I sent you one a few.minutes ago. June

ladydukes 12-20-2014 10:46 AM

Responses are funny! I'm a member of the Newcomers Club in our area (some of the members have been in the club for 25+ years, so it isn't really a "new"comers club). We have a group called "Stitch and *itch where we get together for an hour or two, drink coffee/tea, snacks, and some of the members do hand-sewing, crocheting, knitting, other crafts, or just come to visit. We also have a group called "Wine and Dine" that meets once a month (husbands can attend, generally at someone's house or at a restaurant.

On the road where I live (out in the country), there are FIVE women who are quilters. I'm good friends with a couple of them, but the other two I hardly know, sadly. Three of the women own longarm machines. Maybe this next year I will try to get to know the other two women. My husband and I are the "new" people " (five years!), but neither of those two have ventured over to visit.

Suz 12-21-2014 11:24 AM

Would it be possible to post a message at your local quilt or sewing supply shop? Perhaps even the grocery store. I know I check such out from time-to-time. Good luck.