Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   old quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/old-quilt-t259275.html)

hirshal 01-06-2015 08:55 AM

old quilt

A friend of mine just recently asked me to finish a quilt that her mother started. The top is done, just needs batting and backing. What would be the charge for doing something like this?

tessagin 01-06-2015 09:06 AM

Price of your materials plus your time. Are you buying the batting and the backing or are they?

DebraK 01-06-2015 09:14 AM

Materials and time. what is your time worth? Quilting for friends is different than quilting for strangers.

feline fanatic 01-06-2015 09:39 AM

I don't know where in NY you are but in my area the going rate for longarm quilting starts at around .015 cents per square inch and that is just for the quilting, it does not include the price of batting and backing and that is for an end to end all over design, not custom. Not sure what you should charge for completing the top. I am thinking because you did not discuss price up front and this is a friend I would discuss price before going any further. You may wish to ask your friend to just treat you to dinner for your work thus far and then settle on a price for the quilting portion. Hand quilting is even more expensive. If you tie it, I wouldn't know what to charge, maybe a per tie fee??. Then don't forget the fee for binding services. I believe those that charge for it, charge per liner foot but you would have to research the net to get prices for that.

hirshal 01-06-2015 10:51 AM

I am buying the batting and material for the back and binding. She is reimbursing me for those items. I am going to tie it.

DebraK 01-06-2015 12:19 PM

your time and friendship is still relevant. Tying a quilt is different than stitching. Ask yourself, what makes it worth taking on this project.

hirshal 01-06-2015 03:30 PM

The quilt was her grandmother's and was and stitched small hexagonal. My friend is 65 so this is quite old and I thought it would be nice to finish it for her.

DebraK 01-06-2015 05:18 PM

sounds like a gift of love. Definitely get the material cost if you take it on. Your time and effort is priceless.

GrannieAnnie 01-06-2015 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by hirshal (Post 7036368)
I am buying the batting and material for the back and binding. She is reimbursing me for those items. I am going to tie it.

tying is easy and quick. How good a friend? If it were a good friend of mine, I'd ask her to help sandwiching the fabrics, and help pinning and not charge anything for the tying.

Ps 150 01-06-2015 09:49 PM

I just did this last year. The friend covered the cost of all the materials and insisted on paying for my time, so we agreed on $10 an hour after searching on google for what skilled laborers make (a friend insisted that quilting falls under that category). As a friend, I charged her the lower end of that scale, which was $10, but ranged up to $20.