Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Saved this Wilson - with the help of a QB buddy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/saved-wilson-help-qb-buddy-t259595.html)

SteveH 01-12-2015 09:27 AM

Saved this Wilson - with the help of a QB buddy

2 Attachment(s)
well this Sunday was not quite what I planned.

I planned a casual day of playing catch up on Sunday with house and collection stuff as well as working on the stuff for the new VSS website...

But NOOOOOO... Instead I opened an email from Mrs.SewNSew and my whole day shifted.

She send me an email with a question or two and then at the bottom of the email casually asked if I had seen a certain ad...

No, I had not. The ad was for a pair of "old sewing machines" $75 each. The first was a White Embossed electric in a parlor cabinet. Cool, but not in my are of interest as it is WAY too new for me.

The second was a machine that I immediately recognized. I should recognize it because I have been in negotiation with a gentleman in Utah who has one in a standard treadle cabinet and was asking $600 for it.......

Of course his was clean. Hmmm $75 for a Filthy machine, or $600 + 2 day road trip for one already cleaned... Hard choice it was not.

So I drove 45 minutes and saw this. (These pics were taken after I brought it home)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505753[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505754[/ATTACH]

Yep, that is an 1872 Wilson (NOT Wheeler & Wilson) Folding top treadle!!!!!

MFord 01-12-2015 09:32 AM

Happy dance!! Can't wait to see it all prettied up!

SteveH 01-12-2015 09:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I began to remove the accumulated decades of filth and was pleasantly surprised to discover that she is not in bad shape at all, just seriously neglected.

the first peek and the excitement begins...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505757[/ATTACH]

Very nice under all of that crud...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505755[/ATTACH]

The wood looks bone white and in some cases was covered with white speckles that Heather referred to as "bird poop" (I don't think it was) but with Using Glenn's #1 formula it is cleaning up AMAZING!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505756[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505758[/ATTACH]

SteveH 01-12-2015 09:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Before and after... I have a LOT of work ahead of me...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]505759[/ATTACH]

I LOVE the transverse treadle. (even with the missing drawer)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505760[/ATTACH]

tessagin 01-12-2015 09:39 AM

Can't wait til completely finished. Does it work? Or not sure yet! 143 year sold! I know it will be beautiful when you're finished.

quiltingcandy 01-12-2015 09:50 AM

That is one beautiful machine and cabinet. It is wonderful that you could see the beauty under all the dirt.

Macybaby 01-12-2015 10:00 AM

That is a great find! And amazing under the dirt - so glad the seller didn't decide to wash it off before listing - who knows what they may have washed off. . .

SteveH 01-12-2015 10:15 AM

Thanks folks!

It is missing it's shuttle and bobbin... (If any of you happen to have a W.G.Wilson shuttle and bobbin just laying around, go ahead and PM me.... LOL)

Sunflowerzz 01-12-2015 10:29 AM

Kudos to Mrs.SewNSew!! Can't wait for you to get her all finished Steve. You must feel like a little boy on Christmas day with his first two wheel bicycle. I love those times when I get to feel like a kid again.

Rodney 01-12-2015 10:34 AM

Kudos to Mrs.SewNSew from me too! That is a really great find! The transverse treadle is awesome along with the rest of the cabinet.
Rodney