Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch Regulator, Opinions Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-regulator-opinions-please-t259715.html)

Kaye 01-14-2015 07:38 PM

Stitch Regulator, Opinions Please

I would love to hear opinions from members who have a stitch regulator on their DSM. I'm trying to decide if I would be happy with one instead of purchasing a mid-arm such as a Sweet Sixteen. I enjoy quilting on my DSM but would enjoy it even more if all of my stitches were even. Thanks!

Tartan 01-14-2015 08:25 PM

I have a BSR on my Bernina 440 . It helps me regulate my stitches but they are not all exactly the same size. It does prevent me from getting micro stitches which is what I most wanted.

CanoePam 01-14-2015 08:50 PM

I have a BSR on my 440 also. It gave me confidence to start FMQ, but I outgrew it in a few months. It is just too limiting. Also, the reason to get a quilting machine isn't the stitch regulation but the ease of quilt manipulation. I can do quilts so much easier on my S16 than I ever could using the small throat of the 440. I didn't get a stitch regulator on my S16 either. My quilting is not perfect, but practice makes it plenty good enough.

PS: anyone want to buy a 440 BSR?:D

Pam

Jackie Spencer 01-14-2015 09:01 PM

I have the BSR for my Bernina and I love it. My big quilts Queen and larger I send out to my LA Quilter, but I can do the others now because of the BSR.

coffeecozy 01-15-2015 03:51 AM

I got one with my sweet16. It does stitch such nice perfect stitches. I just never use it.
My stitches are a long way from perfect but they keep getting better and I am not finicky. I keep telling myself that I am sure someday I will need it for something. I thought that I would need it for ruler work, nope, thread painting, nope, tiny pebbles, nope. I am keeping it in the drawer by machine for when I figure out just what it is that I need it for.

ManiacQuilter2 01-15-2015 05:16 AM

I never had a BSR on my Bernina and found out I really didn't need it. If you can find a speed and then hit that speed again and move the fabric at the same rate the machine would feed, then you have perfect FMQ stitches.

MissM 01-15-2015 05:41 AM

I have the BSR on my Bernina 750 QE; the BSR along with the extra throat space has allowed me to do FMQ quilting my own quilts. The largest size I have done is queen size.

grammysharon 01-15-2015 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kaye (Post 7048044)
I would love to hear opinions from members who have a stitch regulator on their DSM. I'm trying to decide if I would be happy with one instead of purchasing a mid-arm such as a Sweet Sixteen. I enjoy quilting on my DSM but would enjoy it even more if all of my stitches were even. Thanks!

I have BSR on my Bernina 830 and I think it was a waste of money. I prefer FMQing without it!!!

Dolphyngyrl 01-15-2015 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by coffeecozy (Post 7048227)
I got one with my sweet16. It does stitch such nice perfect stitches. I just never use it.
My stitches are a long way from perfect but they keep getting better and I am not finicky. I keep telling myself that I am sure someday I will need it for something. I thought that I would need it for ruler work, nope, thread painting, nope, tiny pebbles, nope. I am keeping it in the drawer by machine for when I figure out just what it is that I need it for.

I kind of feel this way too about the one for my brother dreamweaver. It does make nice stitches, but what happens is if you move too fast or slow down to fast it gets confused and you end up with jerky stitches so you still have to have some sort of consistency in your movements. I have found that the more consistent I am, the less I feel I need it. I have found watching people that have been doing great work for years without one that their stitches are not perfect, but their work still is despite this

cmierley 01-15-2015 05:43 PM

I have one and I never use it. You really need a very flat area for it to work right. With practice you can do just as good. It was a waste of money in my opinion.