Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   babylock jane (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/babylock-jane-t260091.html)

judymay 01-21-2015 06:04 PM

babylock jane

I am looking at the babylock jane. Does anyone have one? It has a large throat and sews fast. Only straight stitch.
The dealer has offered me a floor model for $925. Is that a good deal or am I making a mistake if I buy it? Opinions will be welcome. Thank you, judymay.

DonnaPBradshaw 01-21-2015 06:18 PM

Would you be satisfied with just a straight stitch? I bought a janome with a large throat and it does a lot more than just straight stitching. Keep looking there are better machines out there than this one.

jeanne49 01-21-2015 06:18 PM

I'd check out the Melody - it used to see at my dealer for 900.00 but I was informed that prices were going up so I'm sure its more now but if you might be willing to put out 925.00 maybe a little more for a lot more machine would be a good investment.

Quiltngolfer 01-22-2015 06:10 AM

The Brother PQ1500 does the same thing and is only about $600. It has built in scissors and needle down too. I have had mine for at least 10 years, and it sews like a dream. It is the perfect machine for piecing. However if you like the machines better, go for it.

ManiacQuilter2 01-22-2015 09:27 AM

I would miss my buttonhole stitch. Can't believe it is that much for a machine that only stitches straight.

Path50 01-22-2015 10:21 AM

I have a jane and I love it. I bought it about a year ago for about $700. It was new in the box. It has needle down and an automatic thread cutter. I did keep my old machine (which wasn't really that old!) for when I need something besides a straight stitch. I got the Jane because I wanted it for FMQ and I haven't been disappointed. Good luck with whatever you choose and have fun!

judymay 01-22-2015 10:22 AM

Thank you all for helping me with your comments. I have other machines but they all have small areas in which to pass a large quilt through. judymay.

charlottequilts 01-22-2015 10:39 AM

A Juki is about that much, new, and from the pictures I've seen, has a bigger extension table. It has the thread cutter, needle down, speed control, and a very hefty walking foot. Since you have other machines that do tricks, this one may be just what you need.

Hugs,
Charlotte

Hookem 01-23-2015 06:26 AM

My Brother PQ1500 does everything I need to make quilts. And less than $600 delivered to my door.

lfty298 01-23-2015 02:53 PM

hi judymay - i have a babylock jane - bought 2 yrs ago - dealer floor model - $725 - a walking foot, 1/4 inch foot and fmq foot (and a few others) were all included. these feet typically are.
i have an old, good condition, singer t&s with zig zag and cams so i didn't need a machine that could repeat those same functions. what i wanted (and the bl jane has) was a large harp area, straight stitch only, vertical bobbin, bigger (and newer motor) with the 1500 spm capability. i especially didn't want to stress my little old singer with the hours of running that machine quilting requires. i also like that the feed dog height, tension (upper and bobbin),presser foot pressure and of course stitch length are all easily adjustable. i was surprised to find that i love the needle down and thread cutter. i reach for them on my treadle and t&s :-( - they are never there.
there are brother machines online for about $600 - often with extras, but for a variety of reasons, it was worth the extra 125 for me to go with a dealer.
i doubt that i would have paid much more than that. i have read that the brother 1500 and the bl jane are the same - also that they are not the same.
all i can say is they look alike - and i love my bl. generally, reviews on the qb are positive for this class of machine (straight stitch only, approx. 9" harp, high speed - $600 -1000 range). whatever your choice, you will love your new machine.
lefty - in philly