Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Yo-yo's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/yo-yos-t260867.html)

Lynneander 02-05-2015 09:34 PM

Yo-yo's

Help! I have made a quilt and now want to attach a good number of yo-yo's. I would like the back to still look nice, without a lot of extra stitches. This is a first for me and am hoping for some direction. Thanks in advance!

Nammie to 7 02-05-2015 10:31 PM

I am assuming your quilt has been quilted and bound. To attach the Toyota you can just hand stitch them to the quilt without going through the batting and the back.

GrannieAnnie 02-06-2015 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 7079123)
I am assuming your quilt has been quilted and bound. To attach the Toyota you can just hand stitch them to the quilt without going through the batting and the back.

Sorry to laugh, but I assume you have auto-correct? Toyota seems a strange correction of an age old word like yo-yo!

ManiacQuilter2 02-06-2015 04:03 AM

I am debating on a wall hanging quilt with yo-yos to attached them after I have quilted the quilt or attach them before I quilt it. Will be watching this thread.

Homespun 02-06-2015 06:08 AM

I am laughing outloud.....

dd 02-06-2015 06:18 AM

Just what kind of Toyota is this? Need some pretty strong thread to keep the Toyota on there. Funniest post yet. Thanks for the laughs.

I would just tack the yoyos onto the top of the quilt without sewing all the way thru. Catch some of the batting in the stitches and make the knots under the yoyos so you can't see them. Probably need a couple stitches around the edges to keep it flat.

Barb_MO 02-06-2015 06:29 AM

I've decorated items with yo-yos with a sort of applique stitch. Problem I had that when the item was washed, the yo-yos didn't look so good, they got wrinkled, and I couldn't figure out how to straighten then out, probably should have used a little spray starch and worked with the a little.

Geri B 02-06-2015 07:41 AM

If it were me and this was going to be a "used" item as opposed to decorative, I would attach those yoyos before quilting....around the edges and tack down the center for stability...I guess you can do that after quilting, but easier to work on prior to......jmho

quiltingbuddy 02-07-2015 07:27 AM

I've done this before and just make sure all threads start and end under the yoyo and that they don't go through to the back. Easy peasy!

Jeanne S 02-07-2015 08:14 AM

What is a yo-yo on a quilt?? ???