Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina Q20 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-q20-t261320.html)

amBoo 02-15-2015 02:21 PM

Bernina Q20

Hi

Has anyone here seen/tried this new machine? It seems it is making the rounds of some quilt shops on a promotional tour and is not actually available for purchase yet. It comes with/on a Koala table and is made in Switzerland. I haven't been able to find any information about price range but I'm guessing it will be fairly pricey. I would love to know the cost so I'm going to try calling around tomorrow.

QuiltE 02-15-2015 04:40 PM

I don't think there is any need to guess that it will be pricey.
It's not due out til May 2015, in the USA .... for Canada, no idea whether we will get it then, or later?
So I doubt there are any prices available yet.

If you are wondering about prices, I would think that you could start with the competition pricing, for an idea.

mkc 02-15-2015 06:07 PM

Some discussion of the upcoming Bernina Q24 and Q20 on the forum here http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...m-t257780.html

quiltedsunshine 02-15-2015 08:14 PM

There's a dealer in Utah that has the Bernina Q20 on display next to the HandiQuilters, and the HandiQuilters blow the Bernina out of the water. Bernina has a long ways to go to catch up to industry standards. The Bernina machine uses a regular sewing machine needle. Where the new HQ Infinity went past a regular industrial needle to one with a bend in it, because a regular industrial needle couldn't hold up and perform at 30,000 stitches per minute.

amBoo 02-15-2015 08:45 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll keep longing for a Sweet 16 or Tiara :-)

QuiltE 02-15-2015 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine (Post 7091998)
There's a dealer in Utah that has the Bernina Q20 on display next to the HandiQuilters, and the HandiQuilters blow the Bernina out of the water. Bernina has a long ways to go to catch up to industry standards. The Bernina machine uses a regular sewing machine needle. Where the new HQ Infinity went past a regular industrial needle to one with a bend in it, because a regular industrial needle couldn't hold up and perform at 30,000 stitches per minute.

30,000?
I think the number is more like 3,000 o4 3,300!!

ManiacQuilter2 02-16-2015 05:55 AM

I have had my Bernina for close to 20 years and I have had hardly any problems with it. I would always check to see where a DSM is made.

TouchelaRose 01-02-2016 06:56 AM

I just purchased the Q20 from my local dealer. I had a HQ Sweet Sixteen. After test driving the Q20 I immediately sold my Sweet 16 for the Q20. I loved my Sweet 16, but the Q20 is so smooth and the stitch regulator is wonderful. I no longer need to hold on to a donut style regulator. The Q20 table is top quality by Koala and with the table inserts it will stretch to 77". The Q20 takes standard sewing needles. I like standard needles because the holes they make in my quilts are much smaller and disappear. The stitch quality on the Q20 is beautiful. I am so excited about the new machine arriving in 2 weeks.

Ralpha 03-09-2016 05:44 PM

I have been using a Sweet16...decided I needed my own machine, so went to several shops to try different machines. I went to Modern Domestic in NE Portland...and wanted to bring home their new Q20! It was ordered and set up today --with 1on 1 time so I felt comfortable on my own! I have practiced on the Bernina longarm practice fabric for about three hours today. I feel so in charge and the machine is so responsive to my movements. It was a good choice for me!

quiltedsunshine 03-09-2016 09:26 PM

You're right. It's 3,200 stitches per minute on the HQ Infinity.

The Bernina Q20 stitch regulator is laser guided -- like the BSR. The HQ stitch regulator measures the X and Y axis, which is the actual movement of the machine. So they're a whole different system.