Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-outlet-what-would-you-buy-t262463.html)

baronreads 03-11-2015 05:34 AM

Fabric Outlet - What would YOU buy?

I'm in Springfield, MO for the week and stumbled upon a Fabric Outlet in my travels. OMG! All cotton fabric is $2.99/yd until the end of the month. They also have fleece, flannel, minky, decorator fabric, wide backing cotton, all at deep discounts. NICE cotton, a lot of designer fabric, just overwhelming. Since I'm just starting back at quilting and love scrappy quilts I bought 1/2 yd cuts. Now I'm second guessing myself and thinking I should have bought some minky and backing, but without a project in mind not sure how much or what colors. So, if you walked into this store, what would YOU buy?? I'll post a couple pics in another post from my phone. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

tkhooper 03-11-2015 05:38 AM

I'd go for the most expensive hard to get items that I routinely use. For example I like tableclothes so the extra wide would appeal to me.

baronreads 03-11-2015 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having trouble posting pics of the store. Here is what I bought though.

bearisgray 03-11-2015 05:42 AM

Looks like nice fabrics.

ManiacQuilter2 03-11-2015 05:45 AM

I always check the name of the manufacturer before I buy fabric at M&L Fabric here in So CA to make sure it is the quality I expect from a LQS. I have quilted long enough that I know what type of quilts I enjoy making for charity so those are the fabrics I purchase. Looks like you like modern so you made the right choices.

Buckeye Rose 03-11-2015 05:52 AM

Since you aren't buying for a specific project, I would buy the wide backings in neutrals....or yardage of solids that you use frequently (like black, white)....or 2 yard cuts of blenders....if you think about patterns, most of them will take more than 1/2 yard of one color....I wouldn't buy prints unless you have a particular pattern for it....prints go out of season, lose popularity or may be hard to match.....If you can buy everything in one particular line, then I would buy 1 yard of each.....what I wouldn't give to be in your predicament! LOL

baronreads 03-11-2015 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose (Post 7123441)
Since you aren't buying for a specific project, I would buy the wide backings in neutrals....or yardage of solids that you use frequently (like black, white)....or 2 yard cuts of blenders....if you think about patterns, most of them will take more than 1/2 yard of one color....I wouldn't buy prints unless you have a particular pattern for it....prints go out of season, lose popularity or may be hard to match.....If you can buy everything in one particular line, then I would buy 1 yard of each.....what I wouldn't give to be in your predicament! LOL

The reason I bought 1/2 yd cuts is I prefer scrappy quilts and not having a specific pattern in mind it was just easiest. And a lot of what I did buy does go together colorwise. I see your point about blenders, I'll have to think about that one. Thanks!

<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/7de6c67b/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Jeanne S 03-11-2015 06:44 AM

If you like scrappy then 1/2 yard cuts are fine. I also use lots of solids and buy them in several yard cuts--and white and black by the bolt! It is hard when you don't have a pattern in mind. I would try to stick to prints in 2 or 3 basic color schemes rather than the entire rainbow.

Nammie to 7 03-11-2015 06:44 AM

What a predicament. I would buy what moves me -- will be going on a shop hop shortly with nothing in mind to buy -- it will be interesting to see what, if anything, I do get. I agree with the blenders -- neutrals are always a good thing to have!

Doggramma 03-11-2015 07:04 AM

I like the fabrics you bought. Very pretty and good deal too!