Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   need some advice please! the way things are lining up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-some-advice-please-way-things-lining-up-t262733.html)

Laura Perdue 03-16-2015 02:20 PM

need some advice please! the way things are lining up

I have been following you all for quite a while and have learned so many things and seen so many pretty quilts. I have been quilting for fun for years, I usually give away my quilts to family members. Last summer

I had my daughter pick out a quilt kit and have been working on it for awhile, but when I started to put it together I am so unhappy with the way things are lining up I feel like trashing it and beginning again.I realize what I did wrong when piecing the quilt, so I know I can do a better job next time.

However, when my daughter saw it, she loved it. I pointed out a few mistakes, and she said she never would have noticed them. However, I keep seeing my mistakes and now I can't seem to get back into this project. Has any one else had this problem? If so, how did you get yourself to quit focusing on the mistakes?

Tartan 03-16-2015 02:31 PM

If your daughter loves it, quilt it up. It will give you a chance to work on some pretty quilting designs. If it is just a couple of spots bothering you, consider adding some applique.

Eva Knight 03-16-2015 02:34 PM

If your daughter loves, that is all that matters. Finish it, give it to her and move on. There will not be any guilt about an unfinished project to think about. Start something you like and move on.

MarionsQuilts 03-16-2015 02:35 PM

I agree with Tartan. I did a kaleidoscope quilt that by the time I was done, I was ready to give it to the cat! For the life of me I couldn't get the 8 triangles to meet up properly in the middle - some had too much fabric, others not enough so there was a hole ... EEEEEKKKK I ended up sewing buttons on all the middle pieces of the kaleidoscope just so it wouldn't fall apart!

One of my colleagues fell in LOVE with with ... and I mean she raved about it ... I gave it to her on the condition that it never be washed because it would probably fall apart.

Like you I pointed out all the mistakes, but she didn't care!

QuiltnNan 03-16-2015 02:45 PM

we are our own worst critics. do the best you can... she will love it!

Jeanne S 03-16-2015 02:47 PM

Since she likes it, I say finish it up and give it to her! After it is quilted, washed and crinkled up, your boo-boos will be MUCH less noticeable. And it will be a lasting reminder of your improved skills years to come!

Painiacs 03-16-2015 02:48 PM

We are our worst critics, one thing about quilting, you learn it's never perfect but then again it's not suppose to.. for me the charm of homemade is the imperfections. No two are alike. If someone likes it you've done your job!! :)

RedGarnet222 03-16-2015 02:52 PM

I am with the other girls here. Just finish it up and next time you will know to adjust for your "mistakes". I would not agonize over it. I once waited almost twenty years to put one quilt together because I didn't like how it was turning out and the person I gave it to loved it! They didn't notice any of the little off blocks. They just saw all the love and work it took me to make it.

ontheriver 03-16-2015 03:57 PM

I see my mistakes all the time but no one else does. We seem to be our own worst critics. As my SO tells me, it is hand made, you are not a machine. I have learned to lighten up (a little.)

bearisgray 03-16-2015 04:05 PM

how much of it do you have done?