Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/question-about-ikea-furniture-quilting-room-t263133.html)

karensue 03-25-2015 02:42 PM

Question about Ikea furniture and quilting room

H.
I am in the middle of redoing my sewing room and closet.
I need shelving forthe following items:
Material on fabric boards (3 shelves of 63 inches)
Binders, approximately 12 of them, all sizes
Magazines in magazine holders, 24 of them
The thing is that hubby wants them “enclosed” and not in theopen, as they are now.I saw somebookcases with doors on Ikea site and wondering what anyone thinks of them, orif they use them, or if they have ANY options for me to use.
I also saw where they had drawers that may be able to beused for embroidery/quilting/serger threads, but don’t know the height of eachdrawer.Has anyone used these?
Thanks for any advice.

Eva Knight 03-25-2015 03:30 PM

I will be watching your post because I'm interested in cabinets for my sewing room. Also bookcases with or without doors. Hope you get lots of input.

Judith1005 03-25-2015 03:39 PM

I have the Ikea Expedit shelving (16 cubbies) the measure 13 1/4 x 13 1/4. (actual size) I use the Drina boxes in mine along with other Wal-mart and Old Time Pottery boxes. I love love love it. I believe I can add the doors to mine. (Although, I do NOT have the doors.) It is very sturdy. I have stored both magazines and books and binders at times on my shelves also. I have thought about getting magazine holders. (But, have not done so yet.)

coopah 03-25-2015 06:14 PM

I have two IKEA cabinets that sit side by side and look like one unit. They are solid wood (no particle board or pressed cardboard or thin paneling anywhere). The bottom has doors, then two drawers above that, and then two open shelves above that. These units admirably survived a very rough 3200 mile move. We've been pleased, although it all came unassembled. You could do way worse than buying from Ikea. Is there a store near you so yu could look-see? We have to drive 2 hours, but it's just a nifty place to visit/shop.

ragamuffin 03-25-2015 07:16 PM

I would go directly to the ikea site and check it out. It is Ikea.com and then the town. Good luck

RST 03-25-2015 07:18 PM

The expedit is actually discontinued, but the kallax which replaces it is very similar. The door and drawer units for the expedit/kallax systems are pricey and not worth it in my opinion. I think they function best as open cubbies or with bins sized to fit exactly.

The Billy shelves come with different styles of doors -- solid or glass or a combo. I find the Billy units too shallow for my system of fabric storage, but they are perfect for books, binders, magazines.

There are several free standing wardrobe systems that might be better choices for your fabric needs, depending on how much space you have. Don't overlook using kitchen cabinet units either -- I've found some in the as-is section for as low as $5 a cabinet-- and they make a great base for a sewing or cutting table. They also house the various wonderful Ikea organizers perfectly.

I have a lot of Ikea furniture throughout my house and it stands up to a lot of use, is a great value for the price, and is pretty flexible for re-purposing in other areas of the house later if you want to change it up.

Another thing to think about would be to look for resale on Craig's list or your local classifieds -- I've found expedit units for less than half of retail in very good shape.

mom-6 03-25-2015 07:49 PM

I have not had shelf units from ikea but I did get a tall cabinet unit (don't recall where) one time and ended up taking the doors off as they just seemed to be in the way.

ManiacQuilter2 03-25-2015 08:38 PM

I bought my chair at Ikea and it has served me well for over 15 years. I love the organization stuff they sell at their stores. Just wish one was near me.

coffeecozy 03-26-2015 04:05 AM

Dh made me a wonderful cutting/ironing board from 2 expedite shelves and a piece of butcher block, I use cloth boxes in them. No doors on them but they look tidier than the ones that I left open. I have Alex drawer units with ikea spice holder inserts for my threads and rulers. They work really well and all are on casters so I can move them around.

MarionsQuilts 03-26-2015 04:20 AM

Another option you can look into is getting an estimate for custom closets.

I had custom closets put it in the basement (for the laundry area and storing tools in the house).

The closets are 6 feet high and 20 feet long, with drawers, lots of shelves, and some doors. There's even a peg board for some of the tools. The whole thing cost me $2400 - labour included!!!!