Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilt Kits (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilt-kits-t263145.html)

Dreaming 03-25-2015 07:38 PM

Quilt Kits

I bought a quilt kit for the first time and my worst nightmare happened. I was ripping out a seam and the piece of fabric ripped. Now never having done a kit before, could any one tell me if there is extra fabric in case of making mistakes? And if you get extra fabric, how much do you get? Thank you for any help you can give me.

shadoh 03-25-2015 08:15 PM

I have found there is extra fabric..how much extra do you need to replace?

ManiacQuilter2 03-25-2015 08:26 PM

I would contact the store and see if they have any extra piece of fabric. It is also my worse fears with a kit that I would make a mistake with cutting.

katier825 03-26-2015 12:47 AM

I think it depends. The one I bought had almost no extra fabric. I was glad I bought some yardage to go along with it. Maybe you can find something similar, coordinating or appliqué something over the tear.

QuiltingHaven 03-26-2015 02:57 AM

I have ordered kits from Connecting Threads and Keepsake Quilting and both of them always have allowed extra material for each quilt. Always have extra material left over and use them in other quilts. If I think I am going to do something different from the actual quilt pattern, I add a tad more fabric where I think I am going to go in my own direction.

Onebyone 03-26-2015 03:35 AM

All the kits I have bought there have been extra fabric but the BOM kits seem to not have extra. I've gotten a 2 x 2 piece before in a BOM to make a 1 1/2 square. Now that is stingy! Seems the more expensive BOM the more stingy.

coffeecozy 03-26-2015 03:37 AM

The kit that I just tried had such skimpy pieces of material that I had to use a similar piece from my stash because I was too generous when I trimmed off a selvedge. There was no extra fabric in the kit at all. I would imagine that it depends on who made up the kit.
I hope that you are able to match your fabric.

rvsfan 03-26-2015 05:14 AM

I buy a lot of kits and have always found that if short of a specific fabric, I call the company where I bought the kit, and they have always sent an extra piece of the fabric I need - an ample piece.

GingerK 03-26-2015 06:05 AM

I seldom buy kits because the one very special kit I bought, had a list of the fabrics with the amount that was included. The kit was short by almost a meter total and one fabric was so small that I could not cut the specific pieces from it. I contacted the company and never even got an acknowledgement. Needless to say, I have never bought another single thing from that company. I think it really depends on the store that puts the kit together.

If you are really worried, measure out what is left of the problem fabric and calculate what still has to be cut. If you feel you are going to be short, contact the company immediately.

Jackie Spencer 03-26-2015 01:46 PM

I buy kits all the time and from all different shops.Never had problems with getting shorted on a fabric, very generous cuts.