Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Double Wedding Ring, Seven Sisters, and Crazy Blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/double-wedding-ring-seven-sisters-crazy-blocks-t263150.html)

leatheflea 03-26-2015 12:31 AM

Double Wedding Ring, Seven Sisters, and Crazy Blocks

3 Attachment(s)
Since the beginning of the year I've been trying to use up as many scraps as possible. And I mean even the tiniest of scrap. Making simple quilts, with simple domestic machine quilting instead of quilting on my frame. I'm considering doing a few charity quilts that are tied. I'm a woman on a mission to get rid of the stash before I die. It might just kill me in the process. Now I'm not saying I'm never going to do quilt it to death again because I love them, it's just that right now I'm not in the mood to quilt them to death. There's one quilt in this series that isn't picture in this post because I posted it a few weeks ago. I called it "Flit and Flutter" if you feel like searching.

After "Flit and Flutter" I designed a double wedding ring naming it "Hillybilly Hookup"( the first quilt below). It's 100% applique, no curved piecing. The applique is invisible machine applique using clear thread. I made simple string blocks and cut my arc pieces from them. Appliqued the arcs on a solid piece of fabric marked with a grid pattern, then added the posy instead of corner blocks.

There was tons of scrap from the "Hillbilly Hookup" quilt. So I needed to use up those string scraps. "Super Nova" is the second quilt below. It was made using the Hex n more ruler. The layout is actually called Seven Sisters.

Was I done with this pile of string scraps? Heavens no! I could still put a stitch in them. I tried to toss them in the trash but the Frugal Freida inside me said "NO". So quilt 3, pictured below is what I came up with. "Lemon Shake Up" is as close to improv piecing as this ole gal is gonna get. And the best thing is I could finally throw away the scraps that were left over without guilt.

katier825 03-26-2015 12:51 AM

great use of scraps! I love the last one. That's the prettiest setting for the tiny scraps that I've ever seen! Usually they are very busy.

gsbuffalo 03-26-2015 02:20 AM

love them all.

Babs194068 03-26-2015 02:28 AM

These are all very pretty!!!!

Sharonquilts 03-26-2015 02:46 AM

Wow! All 3 are lovely. You need a beautiful job of using up scraps. I can tell a lot of planning went into each pattern. So creative.

helou 03-26-2015 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 7141227)
Since the beginning of the year I've been trying to use up as many scraps as possible. And I mean even the tiniest of scrap. Making simple quilts, with simple domestic machine quilting instead ....

I'm a woman on a mission to get rid of the stash before I die. It might just kill me in the process. .

So funny. Well said. exactly the way I feel. the white background fabric really appeals to me. I have to remember to use more white in mine.
thanks for sharing

quilterpurpledog 03-26-2015 03:38 AM

I like all of your scrap quilts and I admire your determination to use up all the scraps. I am amazed at how they add up. Sometimes I think of just giving them away in some way. But, I think it would be fun to make a quilt from them (actually more than one quilt!) and remember all of the occasions to have made a quilt for someone. Love your work.

PaperPrincess 03-26-2015 04:27 AM

Wow, I love them all. I also really like the combination of the colors with white.

Tartan 03-26-2015 04:35 AM

​Great quilts!

Geri B 03-26-2015 04:47 AM

You have a talent.......they are terrific.....I'm going to try to do some fabric creating with some scraps...thanks for the inspiration