Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   87 and Still Quilting! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/87-still-quilting-t264140.html)

liking quilting 04-17-2015 03:55 PM

87 and Still Quilting!

Had a wonderful visit with and 87 yr. old cousin who lives in the same nursing home as my father. I knocked on her door and found her sitting in her chair, lap covered by a quilt she pieced and was hand quilting. NEXT TIME I'LL BRING A CAMERA. On the table sat her Bernina Minimatic (must be from the 1950's, I'd guess), and she had me open a drawer and bring her some quilt blocks she received many years ago from her aunt (perfectly embroidered). She still intends to make them into a quilt top. They are well over 100 years old. My cousin said she's the only resident with a sewing machine in that nursing home!

I want to be her when the day comes that I live in a nursing home - still making beautiful quilts!
And I promise to take & share photos next time!

LoriEl 04-17-2015 03:58 PM

God Bless her! Don't forget that camera next time. I would love to see her quilts.

Quilting Nonnie 04-17-2015 04:01 PM

Oh yeah!

Originally Posted by liking quilting (Post 7168138)
Had a wonderful visit with and 87 yr. old cousin who lives in the same nursing home as my father. I knocked on her door and found her sitting in her chair, lap covered by a quilt she pieced and was hand quilting. NEXT TIME I'LL BRING A CAMERA. On the table sat her Bernina Minimatic (must be from the 1950's, I'd guess), and she had me open a drawer and bring her some quilt blocks she received many years ago from her aunt (perfectly embroidered). She still intends to make them into a quilt top. They are well over 100 years old. My cousin said she's the only resident with a sewing machine in that nursing home!

I want to be her when the day comes that I live in a nursing home - still making beautiful quilts!
And I promise to take & share photos next time!

Omigoodness yes! My auntie quilted into her 80's. When she could no longer see well enough to quilt, she pieced blocks. When she couldn't see to do that, she cut pieces for quilts. You see, like your cousin, she learned to quilt the old-fashioned way. Cutting pieces by hand with cardboard or linoleum templates, sewing the blocks together by hand and then quilting it together by hand! Maybe in my eighties I'll have to resort to scissors because I'd probably cut a finger off if I used a rotary cutter! Bless your cousin's heart.

wilburness 04-17-2015 06:24 PM

What an endearing story. love it love it love it. brought a big smile to my face and a warm fuzzy in my heart. I hope I will still be quilting at that age......

Yooper32 04-18-2015 05:04 AM

Reading this, at 83, I didn't know how old I really am, I guess. Y'all have made me feel really ancient. But, I must get back to my LC Christian Cross, as it must be mailed in a week and yes, it is pieced on a machine and I am quilting it on a machine. Is this unusual?

tessagin 04-18-2015 05:12 AM

Hope you take/get a photo of your work. and as we say, your it's your quilt and up to you how you put it together.

Originally Posted by Yooper32 (Post 7168511)
Reading this, at 83, I didn't know how old I really am, I guess. Y'all have made me feel really ancient. But, I must get back to my LC Christian Cross, as it must be mailed in a week and yes, it is pieced on a machine and I am quilting it on a machine. Is this unusual?

elnan 04-18-2015 05:51 AM

Yooper32, You go Girl! Some of the women in my quilting group are your age, but the best at every step of the process is 92, living alone in the home she helped build, and always available to teach others. She is a 4-H volunteer, presently conducting a weekly sewing class for her great, great, nieces, and preparing for another quilting retreat. When I hear someone moaning about age and what they cannot do, I want to say "Get over it."

my-ty 04-18-2015 05:55 AM

We all want to quilt when we are at least 104 but sadly various health issues sideline us at an earlier age than this. For those able to quilt, celebrate your good fortune and enjoy your hobby. For those that have made the difficult decision to stop quilting, may you take comfort from your many quilting projects and the joy they have created.

bee3 04-18-2015 06:22 AM

what a lovely story. It would be nice if they had a little craft group, where they could just sit together and make stuff.

ManiacQuilter2 04-18-2015 06:50 AM

THAT is an absolutely a marvelous heart touching story that has to be told. If I can't be sitting at my Bernina piecing a quilt top, then for me, life isn't worth a penny any longer. YES! Take pictures the next time. Tell her that there are quilters out in this vast world that want to her to keep enjoying quilting. Wish I could visit her. I can't drive any longer but I just will keep the petal to the metal thinking good thoughts of her.