Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Batting for a bedspread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/batting-bedspread-t265588.html)

nvb50 05-24-2015 04:46 PM

Batting for a bedspread

My husband wants me to make a king size bedspread. What would you use for batting to allow it to drape over the sides and foot?

Feathers-N-Fur 05-24-2015 06:21 PM

If you want it to go all the WA to the floor, you will probably have to piece your batting.

quiltingcandy 05-24-2015 06:25 PM

What ever your quilt top measures then add 8 to 10 inches, so that you have 4 to 5 inches to spare all the way around. I would find a very light weight polyester batting because that is going to be very heavy no matter what you use.

AudreyB 05-24-2015 08:34 PM

There are several kinds and brands of batting. My favorites are the 80/20 blend by Hobbs and the 100% cotton by Warm and Natural. I think the 80/20 is softer, but after washing I can barely tell the difference between the two. Bamboo is super soft and super expensive. I would avoid the polyester as it can be difficult to quilt. There are other brands, but these are the two I am most familiar with. I hope that helps.

cathyre 05-24-2015 09:17 PM

I had a friend do this , she brought a very thick batting , look lovely a puffy she then took it to her Long Arm Quilter and had it channel quilted , then set about making the cover it was like doing quilt as you go , yes it took some time but she was working without a pattern or any idea how to go about it , but it did turn out lovely , I would have been happy to drape it over my bed , funny thing she didn't want to share . Good luck Cathy

QuiltnLady1 05-24-2015 09:22 PM

I'd vote to use the lightweight poly batting -- a bedspread is bigger than a quilt and weight can be an issue.

JAGSD 05-25-2015 03:26 AM

I usually use 80/20 or on a couple I have used 50/50, most recently I quilted a couple of quilts with the "Dream Batting" and am impressed they had wonderful drape and excuse the pun but quilted up like a dream... I usually make my quilts "oversized" usually to the floor or just shy of it. You can get these batting by the roll which I use. I also used wool on one actually just to see how it quilted and liked it too.

sahansen44 05-25-2015 03:33 AM

I have Quilters Dream in 2 of my quilts with drop on queen-sized bed. Love how they drape.

quilterpurpledog 05-25-2015 04:17 AM

I made a king size quilt for a queen size bed for my son and his wife. I used silk batting and it was wonderful to work with and drapes very nicely on the bed. I highly recommend silk when you are doing something very special because it is worth the extra expense. Otherwise, I generally use Hobbs 80/20 or dream cotton. I, personally, avoid polyester for a multitude of reasons.

ManiacQuilter2 05-25-2015 06:01 AM

I would first measure your mattress and determine the size of batting you will need. Most king size batting I believe is 120"x120" I always have preferred using Hobbs 80/20 for machine quilting.