Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Breaded chicken??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/breaded-chicken-t266761.html)

true4uca 06-23-2015 09:13 AM

Breaded chicken???

I just breaded a family pack of drum sticks, yuck. Seems there was a lot of blood on the ends. I did buy (first time) the chicken from Walmart. It was for a pot luck, otherwise I'd never buy such a large amount. What step did I miss, a friend told me I was supposed to brine it. I only ever bread chicken once every few years, I've never ever used brine.

NJ Quilter 06-24-2015 04:02 AM

I always wash/rinse chicken before doing anything with it. Run it under warm/hot water and then go about any breading; seasoning; etc. before cooking. I've never used a brine before either - particularly for chicken. Only other think I would have done is probably use melted butter to help the breading stick. Some folks use milk for that purpose as well.

linmid 06-24-2015 04:04 AM

I don't brine either. Just rinse chicken, put flour, salt, pepper in plastic bag shake good take out put in skillet that has hot grease and fry.

dd 06-24-2015 04:28 AM

If there is a lot of blood you can soak in salt water to draw out the blood. Not normally a problem with chicken. Some people soak in buttermilk. I didn't care for that when I tried it. I like to season with Season All and Hickory Smoke seasoning on fried chicken.

Geri B 06-24-2015 05:00 AM

I always rinse off chicken before doing anything with it. As far as breading- salt and peppered flour in a ziplock, shake off excess, dip in beaten egg, then roll in seasoned breadcrumbs, and skillet fry...I do that more than " just a few times a yr.". Actually this is my go-to for any breaded.....meat or veggie......my new found wow that's good----breaded pickle slices!

mlt150 06-24-2015 06:42 AM

I don't buy any meat or poultry from Walmart anymore...it was tasteless. Strange, but I love Sam's meat/poultry and I know it is the same company.

tessagin 06-24-2015 07:57 AM

I don't fry chicken. If DH wants it, he usually picks it up after work. I usually bake it on a rack in the oven. No matter where I get it I have to wash it off. I pat it dry and put a little pressure on it to eliminate any old blood. I put a little veggie or canola oil in my hands (just a dab) run my hands all over the chicken pieces and pat any excess off with paper towel. really doesn't take long. Then roll in seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan cheese and bake about 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve up salad or roasted veggies and done. Veggies can go into same oven for last 15 minutes.

Latrinka 06-24-2015 08:17 AM

May seem like dumb question, but what in the world is brine? Is it a thing you put on the chicken or a process done to the chicken? LOL! Never heard of it.

tessagin 06-24-2015 08:21 AM

Brine is a mixture of salts an vinegars herbs and water. Different recipes for different meats. You clean up the meat then put it into the brine mixture usually over night. Works like a marinate. May be other opinions but that is how I've done it.

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7237044)
May seem like dumb question, but what in the world is brine? Is it a thing you put on the chicken or a process done to the chicken? LOL! Never heard of it.

quiltingcandy 06-24-2015 08:30 AM

Tessagin, we don't fry chicken anymore either. It must be over 25 years since I have fried chicken in the house. The smell of any fried food just drives me crazy, even bacon! When my DH fries bacon I open windows and doors even if it is cold outside. I like to eat fried food - just can't handle the smell, so if we want it, it has to come from somewhere else.