Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Cotton before and after (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/cotton-before-after-t266846.html)

sawsan 06-25-2015 11:01 AM

Cotton before and after

2 Attachment(s)
I wash some materials before using in quilting and some of them screams ( l am very badly need to iron please!!)

Is it right to use it for quilts? although it is very easy to be back to nice cloth!

See before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523433[/ATTACH]
and after ironing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523434[/ATTACH]

Fusion 06-25-2015 11:08 AM

Yes , use it.. all 100% cotton wrinkles.

Kathy T. 06-25-2015 03:09 PM

The wrinkles don't bother me at all - but I wonder about what appear to be holes or thin spots in the photo. If those spots are just dark from bits of cotton bolls, then you're fine. If those spots are truely thin spots or holes, you don't want to use this on a quilt that will be washed. You'll want to save it for a wallhanging or tablerunner (that gets removed before dining) - those spots will continue to get weaker if washed and won't last the life of the other fabric in the quilt.

coopah 06-25-2015 03:13 PM

It should be fine after it's quilted, unless the quiting is spaced at large intervals. Otherwise, normal quilting should help keep it from wrinkling. Looks like the dark spots are what we used to call , 'slubs.'

ManiacQuilter2 06-26-2015 04:26 AM

It shouldn't look that wrinkled after washing and ironing the fabric. I would get a better iron and use steam after pre-washing your fabric.

earthwalker 06-26-2015 04:30 AM

I would use it....all 100% natural fabrics crease. Use spray starch and a good burst of steam and all will be good. Personally I like the 'slubs' (those little odd bits throughout), I think it adds texture.

Geri B 06-26-2015 01:59 PM

Are you asking if fabric should be ironed after washing, and before constructing blocks? If so, the answer is definitely yes!

elnan 06-26-2015 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=sawsan;7238231]
Is it right to use it for quilts? although it is very easy to be back to nice cloth!]
Sawsan, I would be more concerned with the weight of the fabric, is it the same weight as the fabric it will be sewn to? Personally, I like that homespun look to the fabric you showed.

slbram17 06-26-2015 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by sawsan (Post 7238231)
I wash some materials before using in quilting and some of them screams ( l am very badly need to iron please!!)

Is it right to use it for quilts? although it is very easy to be back to nice cloth!

See before

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523433[/ATTACH]
and after ironing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523434[/ATTACH]

Almost looks like the texture of osnaburg, but maybe a little heavier weight.

MargeD 06-27-2015 09:38 AM

After looking at the "after" picture again, those little "holes" or separations in the cloth would bother me, especially on a quilt that will be well used- like a child's quilt. For a wall hanging I think it would be fine for backings of wall hangings, but I might be reluctant to use it in a quilt that would be washed often. Just my opinion.