Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilts-t26687.html)

rivka 10-07-2009 01:11 PM

I'm thinking about making a flannel quilt for myself -- when I'm sitting on the couch watching TV or reading, I love to snuggle under a warm blankie...but my current blankie is getting a little worn out and sad looking.

Any tips or suggestions for a still-newbie quilter? I'd love to see some pictures if anyone else has done this...

Jim's Gem 10-07-2009 01:37 PM

Always, always pre-wash flannel. Even if you don't normally pre-wash, they shrink and at different rates.
I would suggest no tiny pieces or not a lot of triangles that the seams all meet, it would be to thick with a lot of seams coming together.
Flannels make great rag quilts, I have also done a couple in Yellow Brick Road, and have used several other patterns that don't have tiny pieces.
They're not hard!
Have fun!

Prism99 10-07-2009 03:36 PM

I don't normally prewash fabric, but I do prewash and dry flannel -- twice! It can shrink an enormous amount.

My favorite approach, after shrinking the flannel, is to starch it before cutting so it doesn't move around or stretch with handling. To do this I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid starch and water, "paint" it on the fabric with a large housepainting brush, throw the saturated fabric in the dryer, and iron with steam. Cuts are very accurate after it has been starched in this way.

I also use 1/2-inch seams with flannel rather than 1/4-inch to accommodate any fraying on the cut edges.

oksewglad 10-07-2009 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I don't normally prewash fabric, but I do prewash and dry flannel -- twice! It can shrink an enormous amount.

My favorite approach, after shrinking the flannel, is to starch it before cutting so it doesn't move around or stretch with handling. To do this I mix a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid starch and water, "paint" it on the fabric with a large housepainting brush, throw the saturated fabric in the dryer, and iron with steam. Cuts are very accurate after it has been starched in this way.

I also use 1/2-inch seams with flannel rather than 1/4-inch to accommodate any fraying on the cut edges.

Great idea on the starch. Thanks. Has anyone tried using a serger on flannel instead? I like to use it when I sew denim quilts.

An easy pattern would be a large squares (8-10") different designs but set with a lattice of a solid or neutral color. Then back with flannel for more snugglies :lol:

LoriJ 10-07-2009 06:46 PM

I did a "warm wishes" quilt out of flannel. It is very soft and yummy, although, at 5 yrs old now, the seams are fraying and I'll have to make another one soon.

jacquemoe 10-07-2009 06:49 PM

You all have great information to offer. If you want easy, like I did, just use a flannel backing :shock: :oops: :twisted: Last year, I made a Turning Twenty with batting and flannel backing and I still love it. I don't want to deal with the frustration of fraying unless I want to do a rag quilt. Who says I'm lazy? LOL

DA Mayer 10-07-2009 07:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If I can find my pictures I will show you some I made.

sharon b 10-07-2009 07:51 PM

The only time I have used flannel is to make a rag quilt and I never prewash for that. maybe I use that pattern the most because I am lazy :roll: LOL But they are fast and easy :wink:

sandybeach 10-08-2009 06:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this quilt for my DS for last Christmas. I washed all the flannel about 3 times and dried each time. I didn't add batting as I felt that would be too hot for him.

quiltmom04 10-08-2009 07:40 AM

I use to or three layers of flannel and do a raggy quilt, if I'm going to use flannel. I just made one in the "Take Five" pattern, and then did some machine quilting with my embroidery unit on the large blocks. It's VERY cozy!