Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help! Large Print fabric what to make???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-large-print-fabric-what-make-t266932.html)

quiltlady1941 06-27-2015 11:53 AM

Help! Large Print fabric what to make????

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to clean out my stash of fabric, and boy is it hard.. I have got bolts of fabric stacked up and can not find what color I need when I start a quilt so I end up going out and buy the color I need..this has to stop...so I am cleaning out and trying to put the colors together so I can find what I need when I start a quilt..

I found this fabric and it is really good fabric it is like a polished cotton, I think I was going to try and make some curtains for our bedroom at one time but now have blinds so don't need to make any....the colors would go well in my son and daughter inlaw bedroom so I thought I would use it to make a quilt of some kind for them..

The problem is that it is a big print and don't think it would look good just cut up and them sewed together to make a block of some kind..Seeing it is a big print would it look ok just using the print on top sewing two pieces of fabric together to make it wide enough and the put a boarder around it for the side drop,I have 10 yds of it and it is 54 inches wide, so two lengths of fabric would cover the top and then some..I think it would be like a whole quilt top, I think that is what you call this or a cheater quilt top..

Can anyone come up with a idea on making a quilt using this large print..I have never used a large print like this in a quilt. Thanks for your help...

barny 06-27-2015 11:59 AM

Sure it would. If you go look at ready-made, they are just wide strips of a design and sewed together and quilted. I think it would be really pretty.

snownannie 06-27-2015 12:17 PM

The fabric is beautiful. Use it with coordinating borders to make a quilt. Would be beautiful

LoriEl 06-27-2015 12:25 PM

It would also make a great backing so you could have a reversable quilt. Two for one!

Tartan 06-27-2015 01:30 PM

Pretty fabric! I might do a pieced front using colours from the print (maybe Warm Wishes)and use that print on the back. I would then machine quilt from the backing following the design.

Maureen NJ 06-27-2015 02:04 PM

Beautiful fabric! To use for top, sew into 3 pieces, not two. Center piece is full width of fabric, two side pieces are each 1/2 WOF. It will be beautiful. I also thought on solid or small print backing, you could put some one block wonders made with your big print. Good luck.

toverly 06-27-2015 02:20 PM

I would do what Tartan suggests, a simple color coordinated quilt on one side and this fabric on the back, quilting to go with the back. Beautiful fabric.

PenniF 06-27-2015 02:45 PM

I think you could make an amazing kaleidoscope quilt with this.

sewbeadit 06-27-2015 02:51 PM

Cut it into strips and make a string quilt adding some other colors if you don't want to really look at it. It is amazing how they look in strings or small pieces. YOu could use strips that are 12" wide and alternate with different colors for a quilt top, or even large squares, or squares and rectangles with other prints, there are so many ways of doing them, and also use as a back if you like the looks of the fabric.

Belfrybat 06-27-2015 03:05 PM

That is gorgeous fabric. Depending on how large the print is, you could do something similar to what is on the latest Connecting Threads magazine cover. It uses 10" squares http://www.connectingthreads.com/Pat...__D10482D.HTML
Or one of the BQ designs that uses 12" squares -- I like the original BQ pattern, but there are several available.

Another option that I think looks classy with large prints is to make a panel quilt with a large center panel with contrasting sashing around, and shorter panels top and bottom (and perhaps sides depending on how large you want it).

And another quilt I saw took wide (20"?) strips of a large print running vertically and separated them with sashing -- very modern.