Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Generic Rotary Cutter Blades? - be sure to read post#6 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/generic-rotary-cutter-blades-sure-read-post-6-a-t267380.html)

DonnaFreak 07-09-2015 04:34 AM

Generic Rotary Cutter Blades? - be sure to read post#6

Howdy y'all 😊

I subscribe to the jhittlesewing newsletter, and in every email I get they advertise a free Olfa cutter when you buy 100 generic blades for $20.95. Even without the free cutter, that's a LOT cheaper than you can buy them at fabric stores or Wal-Mart! So I was wondering if anyone has bought these. If so, we're you happy with them? Were they of good quality? I've been thinking of ordering them, but have been a bit leery of them. Thanks in advance! 😄

Donna

alleyoop1 07-09-2015 05:04 AM

Have never seen this promotion but I do know Olfa is a good cutter. As far as the generic blades go, 100 for $20.95 is $.21 per blade - and I think I would take a chance and try them. On the Harbor Freight website blades go for $1.00 each and I know lots of people use them. On the Joann website the 45mm blades are on sale for $4.99 for 2 blades or $2.50 each. With a coupon you can get them for 40% to 60% off. So it all depends on how much of a risk taker you are! :)

Onebyone 07-09-2015 05:05 AM

It may be worth trying. If the blades are great or not you get a cutter out of the deal. Over the years and using all kinds of rotary blades I'm happier and save money by using the name brand of blades. They stay sharp and do a better job for me. I stock up when I find a sale. I don't think the price of a blade is expensive when considering the cutting is the backbone of any quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 07-09-2015 05:56 AM

I never had much success with generic blades. Who know, they could be resharpened blades.

Sewnoma 07-09-2015 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7251863)
I never had much success with generic blades. Who know, they could be resharpened blades.

This is me, too. I've bought the Harbor Freight blades a few times, always thinking THIS TIME I'll get a good set, and every single time I've had to just drop them into the recycle bin.

I stick with name-brand. They're more expensive but it's worth it to me not to hassle with shredding my fabric by using new yet dull blades.

But if you try it out, DonnaFreak, I will hope they work out for you. :)

PaperPrincess 07-09-2015 07:01 AM

I get generics on ebay. I'm very happy with them, but they cost $1/blade. $20 is a fabulous deal. Just make sure that they are the size you need 45mm??. I know on ebay the 28mm are less expensive.

OK, just looked at the ad. The blades are $169 for 100. THEN they would throw in the Olfa handle which has a Retail Price of $20.95. It's not $20.95 for the blades & handle.
Scroll down to see ad and read carefully:
http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...temid=070915m1

dunster 07-09-2015 09:44 AM

I've had very good luck with Harbor Freight blades. And if you do find a bad one they will take it back, so I don't see a down side.

TexasSunshine 07-09-2015 10:27 AM

I have bought blades from jhittle, I think it was a 10 pack. They are very good blades. I have also bought HF blades and will have a dull one every once in a while. The jhittle ones seem to last longer.

tessagin 07-09-2015 10:29 AM

Same here and half the time the clerks don't know what you're talking about. I just stick with the name brand. I save my coupons for the blades. Did an inventory of the blades I have and I'm down to 8. Need to go shopping. I have 3 size cutters and usually like 2 extra for the small and 3-4 each for the others. Just because they get misplaced.

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7251888)
This is me, too. I've bought the Harbor Freight blades a few times, always thinking THIS TIME I'll get a good set, and every single time I've had to just drop them into the recycle bin.

I stick with name-brand. They're more expensive but it's worth it to me not to hassle with shredding my fabric by using new yet dull blades.

But if you try it out, DonnaFreak, I will hope they work out for you. :)

SittingPretty 07-09-2015 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by alleyoop1 (Post 7251805)
Have never seen this promotion but I do know Olfa is a good cutter. As far as the generic blades go, 100 for $20.95 is $.21 per blade - and I think I would take a chance and try them. On the Harbor Freight website blades go for $1.00 each and I know lots of people use them. On the Joann website the 45mm blades are on sale for $4.99 for 2 blades or $2.50 each. With a coupon you can get them for 40% to 60% off. So it all depends on how much of a risk taker you are! :)

Remember, if something is on sale at JoAnn's, you can't use a coupon. One of my pet peeves about them.
You can use the "percent off entire order" coupons, however.