Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More On Clipping Seams / Swirling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-clipping-seams-swirling-t267636.html)

Melanie Rudy 07-16-2015 06:34 AM

More On Clipping Seams / Swirling

When I posted my response to the "Cliping Seams" thread yesterday another member suggested that I start my information as a new thread.

I am a seamstress and instructor and always tell my students not to clip seams on quilts. In particular I do not like the technique where you clip the seam thread at the heavy intersection of fabric then swirl it flat. I will never, ever clip a seam or use this swirl technique to reduce bulk. I do not like either technique in quilting and wish all quilters would stop worrying about this tiny bit of bulk. Press the heavy seams as best as you can open or to one side. It will get hidden in the batting of the quilt and absolutely does not matter. The clipping ruins the seams and over time these broken seams will come apart. If I sound firm it is because I want all of your gorgeous quilts that you have put so much effort into have the longest quilt life possible :)

I would like like to add that as a trained tailor and dressmaker when the clipped seams are used for garment construction this is done on curves to make them lay flat. It is not intended to reduce bulk. Reducing bulk is done by grading seams which is not a suitable technique for quilting.

Thank you for reading this post and I look forward to your comments. I have read the "Rubber Mallet" idea and think it's a good one if you feel strongly that you still wish to flatten the bulk.

ManiacQuilter2 07-16-2015 06:41 AM

I have been quilting since the 80s and have never clipped any seam. I can see it occur maybe if you are doing curved piecing but I have never tried that piecing. You can get a flatter intersection by undoing the seams and get the seam allowance to lay in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction. Eleanor Burns uses this technique quite often in her quilts. It will then make a small pinwheel on the back of the block in the center. This works well when making a block such as a pinwheel where there is so much bulk in the center. If you have done FMQ, you will find that your DSM may just bulk at the excessive thickness if you stitch into that bulk. Been there, had it happen to me when I quilted other people's quilt tops.

maminstl 07-16-2015 07:26 AM

yes, the only reason I worry about bulky seams is trying to get over them while quilting. I am a fan of the rubber mallet. I honestly don't care if any of my quilts last forever - use 'em up. I'll make you another one, or I'll be dead and gone and really won't care:)

joe'smom 07-16-2015 08:57 AM

I liberally clip my inner curves when doing curved piecing (in order to get the pieces to fit together). Is this going to lead to trouble in the long run also?

Originally Posted by Melanie Rudy (Post 7258473)
When I posted my response to the "Cliping Seams" thread yesterday another member suggested that I start my information as a new thread.

I am a seamstress and instructor and always tell my students not to clip seams on quilts. In particular I do not like the technique where you clip the seam thread at the heavy intersection of fabric then swirl it flat. I will never, ever clip a seam or use this swirl technique to reduce bulk. I do not like either technique in quilting and wish all quilters would stop worrying about this tiny bit of bulk. Press the heavy seams as best as you can open or to one side. It will get hidden in the batting of the quilt and absolutely does not matter. The clipping ruins the seams and over time these broken seams will come apart. If I sound firm it is because I want all of your gorgeous quilts that you have put so much effort into have the longest quilt life possible :)

I would like like to add that as a trained tailor and dressmaker when the clipped seams are used for garment construction this is done on curves to make them lay flat. It is not intended to reduce bulk. Reducing bulk is done by grading seams which is not a suitable technique for quilting.

Thank you for reading this post and I look forward to your comments. I have read the "Rubber Mallet" idea and think it's a good one if you feel strongly that you still wish to flatten the bulk.

feline fanatic 07-16-2015 09:07 AM

For patterns where 8 sections come together in the center, like LeMoyne Star, Lone Star, Spiderweb, Kaleidescope etc, I start my seam in the center 1/4" away from the raw edge and stitch out. Then I remove the unit and do the other side the same way. I lock the seam by taking a few back stitches. Very much like Y seams and mitered borders are constructed. I can then swirl my seams and get all my points to line up with no integrity of the seams lost.

For units like a 4 patch I see no point in clipping and pressing in alternate directions. 4 intersecting seams don't add much bulk but 6 or more I would sew from the center out.

Additionally, if the finished quilt is quilted sufficiently (either by hand or machine) all stress is taken off of intersecting seams so the odd of the seam coming apart on a clipped seam are no more than any other seam. Some people advocate clipping some don't. In the long run it is sufficient quilting that will extend a quilts life.

bearisgray 07-16-2015 09:07 AM

When I do the twirl/swirl thing on a block - I unpick the threads to the intersection on one seam - and LEAVE about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of thread in the seam allowance. I do NOT clip the thread right at the intersection.

A twisted seam bothers me more than a carefully clipped seam. A twisted seam bothers me A LOT!!!

Even when clipping seams on a garment - I try to stagger the clips so that - IMO - the seam has a bit more integrity.

crafty pat 07-16-2015 09:24 AM

I have been sewing clothing and quilts for many years and have always used clipped seams on clothing but on quilts only when sewing curves. I twist and steam press my quilt seams as flat as I can get them and it has always worked well for me.

Melanie Rudy 07-16-2015 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom (Post 7258602)
I liberally clip my inner curves when doing curved piecing (in order to get the pieces to fit together). Is this going to lead to trouble in the long run also?

In the case of curves it is necessary to clip to make your curves lay nicely. Just be sure to leave a few threads of fabric between your clipping and the seam. Also in the case of curves you are clipping on bias fabric which is the stronger direction of the fabric. Perfectly good technique in your case :)

Onebyone 07-16-2015 10:55 AM

I have seen LA mess up when the foot hits a big bulk, not pretty. I have never seen a piece of sewn clothing on a LA. For this reason I think the rules of garment sewing are not the same for quilt sewing. Swirling seams are the norm for quilts.

sandy l 07-17-2015 03:48 AM

I don't clip the seams, just use a seam presser and whack the heck out of it if I think that it's going to make too big of a lump when quilting:)