Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Virtual Quilting Weekend -- July 31-Aug 2, 2015 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/virtual-quilting-weekend-july-31-aug-2-2015-a-t268196.html)

Raggiemom 07-31-2015 03:56 AM

Virtual Quilting Weekend -- July 31-Aug 2, 2015

Welcome to the August Virtual Quilting Weekend (just a wee early!). I'm working on a couple UFOs this weekend plus would like to finish a couple quilts that are almost done. Sunday I'm taking a wool applique class with Lisa Bonjean which should be fun. Hope lots of you are able to join me in the sewing room this weekend. Can't wait to see what everyone is working on! :)

ManiacQuilter2 07-31-2015 04:46 AM

I am working on a non quilting item making doggie beds filling them with scraps of fabric for the local rescue center.

GingerK 07-31-2015 04:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good Morning! In Ontario, Canada, this is a long weekend. (And even tho it would spoil things for lots of people camping and vacationing, I kind of wish we would get some rain--then I could spend time in my sewing room instead of helping in the yard) I am in the middle of two projects. The scrappy 9 patch is not at all time sensitive so I just work on it when I need something different to do. Each blocks finish at 6 inches (yep that means I am making a bunch of 2 inch 4 patches from scraps.) The other is a disappearing hourglass. I am using a piece of peacock coloured wide backing and a good quality cream sheet for fabric.

sewbizgirl 07-31-2015 05:05 AM

Yay... another VQW! Love both of your projects, GingerK. Sweet, happy little 9 patches... and the Disappearing Hourglass looks awesome in batik.

I started constructing a shirt for myself (traditional buttondown, long sleeves and cuffs), and will finish that up pretty quick before I do anything else. I have a sandwich all ready to quilt... that will probably be my weekend project and then I may start a bag. I have been wanting to do an Amy Butler Weekender Bag for the longest time.

calla 07-31-2015 05:17 AM

Count me in too, I want to do a test pumpkin. But DH wants to take his truck to a car cruse but I could take my hand emb. For Over The River and Through the Woods. In addition, I have several I say several UFO's that I could dabble with.......but now I have spoken goals. calla

LTeachergeorge 07-31-2015 06:33 AM

Thank you, Raggiemom, for starting this VQW. I have 24 string quilt blocks ready to have paper torn off and put together, and I've been cutting scraps for Bonnie Hunter's leader-ender project of tumblers. Mine are from 3-1/2 inch squares; couldn't quite do 2-1/2, but didn't want them as large as 5 inches either (the size templates I have LOL). GingerK, really love your scrappy 9 patch made of scrap 4 patches!! Will be checking in frequently. Hope everyone has a great sewing week-end!!

Linda in Missouri

Snooze2978 07-31-2015 06:59 AM

I'm working on 2 over sized lap quilts, one for my sofa and one for a elderly friend down in Florida. I'm in Iowa now. Also got a large quilt on the frame I'm finally getting to trying to get at least 2 rows done a day if not more as it depends on how much time I need to spend in the garden each morning. This quilt is fairly large and even with robotics the top border took over an hour to stitch out as well as a full bobbin of thread. This quilt has a large border, smaller border, 9 rows of 8 blocks each so its going to take me a week or more to finish up. As all my block patterns start in the middle I made up a paper pattern to mark the center so all I have to do is place the pattern over the block and move the needle to the center. Sure beats having to measure both directions to find the center. So much time saving for me too.

DOTTYMO 07-31-2015 08:10 AM

Look forward to joining you all tomorrow afternoon. I have 2 projects on the go. No idea which I will do.

happylab 07-31-2015 11:06 AM

I can join you today, have to work this weekend. I'm working on hand sewing my binding on a orange and tourquise quilt, while watching t.v. Only 3 more hours to sew before it is done. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Hopefully by the end of the night, if not then on Monday. I will then work on 2 more quilts to hand sew the binding. My next 2 week projects. On Monday I plan to cut out some more blocks for the QB Halloween block swap. 1 set is done, need to make the other 3 sets.

Have fun sewing and quilting everyone.

kristakz 07-31-2015 02:03 PM

Yay! I was hoping for a VQW this weekend. As someone said, it's a long weekend up here, and my kids are out of the house so I can sew, sew, sew and not even worry about meals. Let's see how that works out this month :) First up, not a quilting project, but I've been working on a costume for a 20's dance party coming up in a couple of weeks. I told my mother "45 minutes" - a bit of a stretch, but 1/2 day and I just have some final hand stitching to do tonight. then I'll hopefully get some time on my scrappy pineapple blocks, although I have some customer quilts that I'd like to get through this weekend, too.