Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Squaring up a king backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/squaring-up-king-backing-t268364.html)

dakotamaid 08-04-2015 07:11 AM

Squaring up a king backing

Advice is needed. I have a king size flannel backing for a quilt. I seamed my 3 lengths together (40 inch wide each) without squaring each individual length. Now I've got a king size backing that needs squaring. I'm stumped. Help!

Tartan 08-04-2015 07:28 AM

Since it is backing I would just put a square on one selvage edge on the side and use the straight edge and extend the line. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as the backing gives you 3 to 4 inches all around the quilt top. I would then square the whole quilt after quilting.

ManiacQuilter2 08-04-2015 07:35 AM

I agree with Tartan. Square it up after quilting it.

dakotamaid 08-04-2015 07:42 AM

My quilter requires the backings to be square so I need to square up the backing. I do square before binding. I ended up using a large 15 inch square ruler and my 8x24 ruler (Thanks Tartan) and squared it that way but not sure it is entirely square. Guess I'll go with what I have and see what she says.

Edited, it is at least the same length on both edges when folded in half so guess it will be OK. LOL!!

GingerK 08-04-2015 07:51 AM

If you have a spot that you can lay it out completely, take a looong tape measure and measure the distance from point to point diagonally. If they are the same (or at least close) then your backing is square. This is a trick that my DH (a woodworker by hobby) taught me and I used it all the time.

feline fanatic 08-04-2015 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid (Post 7276913)
My quilter requires the backings to be square so I need to square up the backing. I do square before binding. I ended up using a large 15 inch square ruler and my 8x24 ruler (Thanks Tartan) and squared it that way but not sure it is entirely square. Guess I'll go with what I have and see what she says.

Edited, it is at least the same length on both edges when folded in half so guess it will be OK. LOL!!

Oh boy, I hope you checked with your longarmer for how much excess she needs to load it on the rack. I can tell you I need more than 3" to 4" on every side. My minimum is 5" on every side but prefer 6" if I can get it. Additionally, many longarmers prefer all selvages be cut off. They are a different weave and weight and some react differently and can cause needle/tension issues. They also shrink differently so once washed an unsightly pucker could form.

Tartan 08-04-2015 09:53 AM

I do remove selvages when piecing backs from the center portion but always leave the two sides to prevent fraying but I quilt my own.

quiltsRfun 08-04-2015 09:57 AM

I know this will make a lot of people cringe but I rip my backing pieces, both lengthwise and crosswise.

mom-6 08-04-2015 01:53 PM

Ripping and squaring up after doing so will ensure your fabric itself is on grain.

mike'sgirl 08-04-2015 06:55 PM

I also rip. I can get a much straighter edge that way.