Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need manual for Kenmore 117.740! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-manual-kenmore-117-740-a-t269809.html)

MFord 09-09-2015 04:12 PM

Need manual for Kenmore 117.740!

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, friends! I showed you this blue beauty before:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530295[/ATTACH]

I have been working on cleaning her up and she's sewing but with a poor stitch - looks like the upper tension is too loose or the bobbin tension too tight. So yesterday I unscrewed the bobbin case screw a bit, then a bit more...now it's apart! And I can't get that little screw back into it's hole for anything!

I ordered what I thought was the correct manual (paid good money for it!), but I can't remember who I got it from, and it isn't the right one. So, I was wondering if someone else has it and might at least be able to send me the pages that show how to thread the machine (the upper tension is weird!) and the bobbin, and anything that shows the parts of the machine. Please?!

It runs slowly - the set screw on the motor pulley wants to keep coming out. It was also incredibly filthy. If I can ever find my Tri-Flow again I thought I'd keep oiling it periodically and wipe off the crud. I got a pillow's worth of lint out of it. I also took the whole bobbin assembly apart, took lots of pictures, but I'm not sure I got it back in properly.

Such a pretty machine, and made in Germany by Gritzner-Kayser for White, who sold it to Kenmore. Built in 1956, which is the year I was born.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

DonnaMiller 09-09-2015 04:23 PM

Sounds like you need the adjustor's manual. Try the Kenmore group on Yahoo. Nice gals and very helpful.

quilt938 09-10-2015 12:13 PM

it's on one of the facebook groups - I printed one off when I won this model on shopgoodwill (didnt expect to win but I had the 117.841 and a dark green White that looks the same. finding the cams is a doozy- luckily each machine came with one and the White had 4 in a box that I think will work on the others.

quilt938 09-10-2015 12:16 PM

well I can't figure out how to put the file from downloaded files but it's the vintage sears kenmore sewing machines group on facebook- think you have to request to join but doesn't take long and it's under their 'files'

Sunflowerzz 09-10-2015 04:42 PM

"I ordered what I thought was the correct manual (paid good money for it!), but I can't remember who I got it from, and it isn't the right one. So, I was wondering if someone else has it and might at least be able to send me the pages that show how to thread the machine (the upper tension is weird!) and the bobbin, and anything that shows the parts of the machine. Please?!"

I can help you with that. I have a manual and will scan those pages and send them to you via email if you want. Just send me a private message here with your email addy. :)

Lorraine

MFord 09-12-2015 02:34 PM

Thanks, all! Joan has the manual for the 117.841 and is going to send me some pages. Lorraine, I may take you up on your offer if the .841 is much different than the .740. Susanna, I'm going to try the facebook group as well. This is a beauty of a machine and deserves to be up and running right!

Cr8zQuiltR 09-18-2020 07:00 PM

Copy of the manual

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 7313573)
"I ordered what I thought was the correct manual (paid good money for it!), but I can't remember who I got it from, and it isn't the right one. So, I was wondering if someone else has it and might at least be able to send me the pages that show how to thread the machine (the upper tension is weird!) and the bobbin, and anything that shows the parts of the machine. Please?!"

I can help you with that. I have a manual and will scan those pages and send them to you via email if you want. Just send me a private message here with your email addy. :)

Lorraine

I would love a copy of the manual as well if you dont mind! I just acquired one of these Kenmore Vintage beauties that needs a lot of love and I know I'll be needing a manual as well. Thank you!

ThomasScofield 01-22-2022 09:42 AM

Also Needs manual

Hello everyone I’m new to sewing machines, so my buddy was moving his grandma and talked me into buying her old machine, and I have no idea how to thread it or anything , so any help would be greatly appreciated.

bkay 01-22-2022 05:25 PM

Which Kenmore machine do you have?

Can you post a photo?

This is a quote from Janey on how to post photos:

"We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
Click on red "Reply" button
Click on the paper clip icon
Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

bkay

ThomasScofield 01-23-2022 07:08 AM

Kenmore 117.740

Well I figured out it’s a model 117.740, I think from the 50’s but I’m not sure of the exact date, and I have to do a thorough cleaning of looks like it has been collecting dust for awhile, I’ll upload pics as soon as I can figure out how to do that