Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's your favorite thing to make and for who? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-your-favorite-thing-make-who-t269906.html)

Butterfli19 09-12-2015 12:18 PM

What's your favorite thing to make and for who?

My favorite thing to make is the surprise gift. There are what, 14 weeks left to Christmas and I was thinking that maybe I'll make my niece's baby girl and son each a quilt, and finish the Dr. Seuss quilt for my grandson. Heck, maybe I'll even make new ones for my own kids! haha

Just thinking about making surprises puts a big smile on my face.

How about you?

franc36 09-12-2015 02:53 PM

My favorite thing is making quilts for my daughter's three foster children. The teenager likes purple and lavender so I make her quilts that include those colors. The middle child, with autism, loves sports. She especially likes Univ. of TN football so I make her sports related quilts and quilts with orange and white. The youngest has received the most quilts. I love making her quilts that go with children's books. During the past three years, I have made her 10 quilts and given her the books that go with them. Unfortunately, I made her a "Frozen" quilt. She loves that quilt so much that it is the only quilt she wants on her bed. Now, my quilts are made for her sisters or I give quilts to my daughter to give to her friends. Isn't it fun to give quilts to others!

Stitchnripper 09-12-2015 02:56 PM

Honestly, for me it is whatever is under the needle at the time. I only sew for my own pleasure, so even if I am making something for someone else, I want to be doing it and enjoy the process. Right now my stuff is mostly at my son's house, while we prepare to move to the state he is in. I kept one sewing machine here just in case a mend is necessary, but am really anxious to get sewing again in a place where I don't have to put it away. And the first thing I sew will be my favorite.

judy363905 09-12-2015 03:38 PM

I usually have a quilt in the making and love making thoughtful small,girls for daughters and other family members. In 2014 we had a project of the month here in boards and we made fabric boxes, tissue holders, travel trays, wine bottle gift bags and fun things like that, I like others have said enjoy being in a sewing mood. :)

Judy in Phx, AZ

luvspaper 09-12-2015 04:25 PM

surprise quilts --- to those not expecting one at all AND baby quilts for the local women's shelter

DonnaPBradshaw 09-12-2015 04:39 PM

I'm thrilled when I get a UFO finished! I have so many of them that it's really a crime!

weasier22 09-12-2015 06:26 PM

I love to make lots of quilts for gifts and table runners - especially for my cousin who has 6 grandchildren! 5 boys and 1 girl. Love making table runners for different holidays throughout the year so that she can have her table decorated in a holiday theme for when they visit. I don't have any grandchildren, so I love doing things for my cousin and her grandchildren. I am making 3 quilts this year for Christmas gifts. Haven't started them yet ... waiting for fabric to arrive. Then it's going to be like a sweat shop around here!!

jmoore 09-14-2015 03:58 AM

Love making baby quilts... an exciting time for mothers to be and they're quick and fun to FMQ on my DM. I have had to make 5 baby boy quilts this past year for family and friends and I have a charity one in the works.

ManiacQuilter2 09-14-2015 05:12 AM

I enjoy making mug rugs and give them out to friends.

dc989 09-14-2015 05:17 AM

Like many of you I enjoy baby quilts too, so I make them for CareNet and the local crisis pregnancy group. I also belong to an Operation First Responders group and make lots of patriotic quilt for them. Finally I have recently started doing lap or twin size quilts for an assisted living home near me. A friend who works there gives me ideas of who would enjoy one and their interests. I agree that no reason, surprise gifts are so heartwarming.

When I do quilts for new babies esp for church I have started doing one for the older brother or sister too. They are usually to big for their baby quilt and are thrilled to be included too. I make really simple patterns in bright colors and they go together quickly.